The Firearms Forum banner

Light Recoil Semi Auto 20ga Trap gun for Youth?

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  grampawmike 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking for a light recoil semi auto youth model shotgun in 20ga. What models should I be looking at? Sorry, can't afford a Benelli, Beretta or any other high end guns. I like the price and looks of the Weatherby.

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Well, there are a few factors involved in your question, but a Remington 1100 Youth LT20 comes to mind for a basic answer. In many people's opinions (mine included) the actual fit of the gun to the shooter is the most important thing in shotgun shooting comfort. Length of pull, cast, comb height, and shoulder position are all factors in a properly fitting shotgun. An example of this is my son's Beretta A-302 Trap gun. It has had some custom barrel work done but is actually the softest recoiling gun I have shot........BUT, that's not to say it is comfortable for me to shoot! The length of pull is too long and the cast is wrong.....for me. It hurts me to shoot it.....even with light trap loads. I shoot my 1930's vintage Winchester Model 12 pump all day without any discomfort, BUT, it fits me. JMHO Mike
P.S. You might check with the local trap range and find an experienced individual to help fit whatever gun you choose for your young shooter. The standard stock my actually need some modifications to truly fit him/her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.