The Firearms Forum banner

Lighter Loads

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Shooter45 
#1 ·
I am looking for suggestions for lighter loads for my Colt govt 45 due to health issues. I just shoot for fun so accuracy is not that important. I have reloaded some and now at using Bullseye powder with 185gr lead SWC. My recoil spring is 18.5 lb and if I go below 15 gr powder I get ejection problems. I will buy a lighter spring to help with this but need some questions answered. Is there a limit to how low I can go on the powder?
Is there a better powder for light loads?
Suggested spring weight?
Am I trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear?
Thanks

#2 ·
try 200 LSWC (hard lead tends to work better at lower velocities than soft) and Unique. make up 10 each of loads starting with the min and going up in .3gr increments. Unique has less of a spiky perceived recoil than the faster burning Bullseye. also 200gr is less zingy than the lighter 185 bullet. 5" bbl will burn up most all the Unique powder.
when shooting min velocities the gun and the cases are going to look and be 'dirtier'.
is it arthritis thats gettin to ua? i'll use 6.2gr U and Missouri hard LSWC. YMMV
below that and accuracy suffers. above that (6.6 feel factory) kinda hurts my hand for longish sessions. good luck.

#3 ·
OH Heck change the spring !

i have arm issues , i cant do the recoil all day , before i had to hand in my 1911 here ( Australian gun control ..) i had a 12lb spring that worked fine on 3.8 grns of x700 or bullseye or 4.0 grns of Olin 12 ( aussie powder) but do NOT use regular loads with that light a spring .. if you like i'll dig up the notes for the 14 and 15 lb springs i had that was about 6 grns of X700

#4 ·
Jack--i shyed away from mentioning changing springs ( and adding the frame-spring plastic spacer) cause of the potential for damage if factory ammo finds its way into the gun...
but it is a legitimate option

#5 ·
OH Heck change the spring !

i have arm issues , i cant do the recoil all day , before i had to hand in my 1911 here ( Australian gun control ..) i had a 12lb spring that worked fine on 3.8 grns of x700 or bullseye or 4.0 grns of Olin 12 ( aussie powder) but do NOT use regular loads with that light a spring .. if you like i'll dig up the notes for the 14 and 15 lb springs i had that was about 6 grns of X700
Jack, this statement hurts my heart and makes me sick. Having to hand in your 1911. I am sorry you have had to go thru that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.