Lightest 1911 ...

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Mike_Fontenot, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Mike_Fontenot

Mike_Fontenot New Member

What is the lightest .45ACP 1911?

I'm partial to my S&W360sc .357 J-frame snubbies (I carry both of them, except during the hot months) ... each 11oz empty. But I do admire the thinness of the 1911, and the very nice SA trigger on every shot.

All of the .45ACP 1911's that I am familiar with weigh MUCH more than my 360sc ... at least twice as much. Does anyone make one that is lighter than that, perhaps with a titanium slide and an aluminum/scandium frame?
  2. The Duke

The Duke New Member

+1 on the 360 Smith and Wesson...I carry a 360PD frequently...So light its easy to forget your are carrying....Its my idea of a perfect pocket gun.

When the weathers cooler, I prefer a belt holstered SW 3 1/2" Pro Series .45ACP..It has a stainless slide and Scandium alloy frame and weighs in at 26.5oz.empty ..But still considerably lighter than 40+ oz stainless beast I packed before getting the Pro Series...Im not sure if there is anything lighter in a 1911 platform, but the Pro Series has got to be right there with them if there is.

I imagine the .45 ammo alone weights more than the 360.. :)
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I carried an old Colt Lightweight Commander ( ser # 52** ) for years. it weighed in at 27 oz empty. I now carry a Colt Combat Commander and although it's a little heavier, I don't really notice it with a good gunbelt and holster.
  4. Mike_Fontenot

Mike_Fontenot New Member

Yeah, I agree completely. My 360sc is no longer produced, but it appears to be functionally the same as your 360PD ... the only differences that I'm aware of are the color and the sights.

I always carry one in my front pocket (in a holster), and in the months where an undershirt is comfortable (most of the year in Boulder), I also carry the other in a homemade under-the-shirt shoulder holster

The aluminum/scandium frame is good, but I wish they could make the slide out of titanium.

Yeah, that's the price of heavy bullets, but I really do like their advantages. (I shoot 158gr JHP's in my 360sc's ... on the heavy side for a .357, but much lighter than a typical .45 bullet).

Two additional questions:

My understanding is that the quoted barrel length of autoloaders includes the length of the cartridge. So what it the actual barrel length in front of the bullet, for the three usual model-sizes of a 1911?

And, when I look at a picture of a 1911, where is the chambered cartridge located, with respect to the location of the visible ejection gate? Is it right behind that gate, or in front of it, or behind it?
  5. Mike_Fontenot

Mike_Fontenot New Member

What motivated you to make the switch?
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

In my experience the Springfield UltraCompact .45ACP is the lightest 1911 chambered in .45ACP. The lightest 1911 overall IMO, would have to go to Springfields EMP in 9mm.
  7. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

The lightest 1911 I've fired was a Smith & Wesson Scandium Commander.
  8. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I carried my colt defender which is a lightweight 3" barrel 45. Great gun. But after I bought the new s&w e-series commander w/ scandium frame, it has quickly become my everyday carry. I switch back and forth sometimes. But like shooter said, get yourself a real gunbelt. Carrying a 1911 wont be an issue. I have one that is like 3/8 thick and it works great. Dont compromise on belt quality.
  9. Mike_Fontenot

Mike_Fontenot New Member

Thanks to all the responders for the info.
  10. fritz

fritz New Member

The lightest That I have personally held is Kimbers RPC II, it weighs 25oz.