The Firearms Forum banner

Lightweight .308

4K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  grdad45 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for a lightweight .308. Why, you ask?? Just because I don't have one and would like to give one a try. I like .308s and never had a lightweight rifle. So... why not put them together into a lightweight .308.

Although I like my Rem 700s better than my Win Model 70's or Ruger 77s I was actually thinking of trying either the Model 70 featherwight or the Ruger 77 MK II Compact.

I do get out to the range with my hunting rifles and take pride in shooting respectable groups (I do not hand load, yet). Just wondering if I can expect any decent performance with either the Model 70 Featherwight or the M77 Compact. I would also use the rifle for WI whitetails.

So, which one should I persue? OR, which other compact/lightweight rifle should consider? One more thing... I'm not really a fan of the M77 MK II Frontier.

#2 ·
I have a Savage Model 10 Sierra Ultralite in .308 and installed a short 4x scope. It's light, compact and shoots 3-hole cloverleafs!

#3 ·
I've got an early Kimber 84M. I wanted a light weight too. Its scoped with a straight 6x Leupold in keeping with the lightweight "minimlaist" idea. I've never put it on a scale, but I'm thinking its around 6lbs loaded up. With the factiry Pach. Decellerator pad its very comfortable to shoot. Kimber makes one in synthetic that may even be lighter.

Here's a couple of pics. The group is fired at 100 yds with 168gr Federal Premium with Sierra Gamkings. The 84M likes lights bullets.

Attachments

#6 ·
Yeah, I like Browning. I really like my lever action Marlin .22 and feel comfortable working the action. I'll give the BLR some consideration. That should be a wonderful shooter.

When shooting a deer size caliber in lever action, does the lever ever hit you middle finger upon recoil? I assume your fingers stay in the cocking loop when you fire it. Your index finger is on the trigger and your middle finger seems like it would be sitting there ready to catch a little hurt!

Thanks for the input!

#12 ·
Nice one res1b3uq...

I got a good chuckle out of THAT lightweight .308. I actually do really like bolt action handguns. Don't have any, but you just may have tickled my interest a little... damn I hate that.

THANKS A LOT... you gotta couple hundred bucks I could borrow???? It's all your fault!

#16 ·
No I don't have one like that but I have been building a backpack hunting rifle for the past 4 months and it is just finished. I did a lot of researching on action, scope mounts, scopes, stocks, and other rifle parts to get the desired weight I wanted. I decided on a Rem. Model Seven and replaced the stock with a MPI synthetic (does not look as good as your wood but lightweight) used Talley lightweight mounts (under 2 oz for model seven) and Leupy 3x9x33 ultralight (9oz). Rifle ended up at 6.6lbs. shot it twice and named it "The Striped Mule" and sent it to the smith for a BRAKE. Really don't like brakes but rifle to light for a 300 SAUM.

#17 ·
If a six pound .308 rifle kicks your butt into muzzle brake country, what can I say about a seven pound, .375 H&H???
Stock design is the isssue, for the 'faint of heart', not a brake!
My 6#10oz TCR 83 is a dream to shoot, in .308, and the .375 barrel adds less than half a pound, loaded.

#20 ·
.45, so far as I have read, the .325 WSM is a short knock off of the old Rem 8mm Mag, an excellent round, to be cheap on praise!
I've a takedown M700, in the caliber, (8mm Rem) that likely will be part of my estate, when I die, since it will pretty much kill anything on earth, with a bit of guidance. The 'best' choice for large bears, elephant, cape buff? Hell no, everyone knows a bigger gun is needed.
Would it do the job, if necessary? I believe so, and would/will stake the rest of my life on it!
The .325 is the same cartridge, but shorter. An most excellent round!
Hope this is of some help.

#21 ·
I was unable to afford one of the Kimbers, but I found a Win 70 featherweight that some joker cut the barrel on, down to 18" It was a pretty stout snot-knocker 'till I put a SVL Limbsaver on it, and now it is all bark. I like it and am also spoiled, but would almost prefer the really moely BLR to it, as I am partial to lever guns

#24 ·
Amazing. You have a 5lb 13oz wood stocked 84M. Added a Leupold 6x42 that is listed at 11.3oz with Leupold two piece std's at 5oz with rings and ended up with 5lb 8oz. The Butler Creek scope covers must be where all the weight was lost. Would you consider selling the scale? My wife does not believe me that I do not weigh any more than I did in High School.

#25 ·
Mr Goat, I'm not arguing with you, I'm just telling you what the scale says. I guess I could take it to a certified scale, but I'm not sure that's worth the trouble. Where are you getting your weight assumptions from, a catalog? If so, insure that what you are looking up is an old model 84M in .308, back when that was all Kimber made - that and .243 (2 postion safety, etc.) Not trying to be an ass or anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.