The Firearms Forum banner

Lightweight deer gun

9K views 95 replies 27 participants last post by  joncutt87 
#1 ·
Looking to get my fiancee a light gun with minimal recoil, what calibers do you guys recomend? I have been leaving towards .243 and.22-250.

#79 ·
That's funny! I would have loved to see that!:D
That part was funny. The hot gases and powder trash they got in the face was not real funny, but I laughed my rear end off anyway. I was shooting the rifle and they came and set up right beside me. Not a whole lot they could really say. Kind of like playing with a rattle snake; dont gripe when you get bitten.

#80 ·
Breaks... Flying hats . . Trash in the face . . Makes get unexcited about a trip to the range. But there is a little smile too.
BUT pay attention.. If there is a muzzle mod on the neighbor gun one should expect something. Three kinds of people 1 - those that make It happen; 2 - those that watch it happen; and 3 - those that wonder what happened. Being oblivious at a shooting event SHOULD result in a tipped hat EVERY time.
I've killed one Elk and one deer. A .500 lead pill from my Hawken dropped that elk in his tracks... 90 yards, he was standing facing Straight at me shot through the neck. Deer with .338 at point blank range.. Hunting partners were begging me to drop her. Did it. Not much of an exit hole from that 225 gr bullet, but when we took the hide off she was purple from her shoulder to her tail. Never did like that 338. The only gun I have ever sold, and I was glad to see it go. Thomas Jefferson said - the more I practice the luckier I get. Every hunter should have that pasted on the bathroom mirror till they get it.
It's not spray and pray, but precision. War is different... I had an uncle that fought from the beaches of Normandy and all the way across Gernany. He said the only time he used the sights on his M1 was when he was shooting insulators off telephone lines.
When I hunted with the muzzle loader I lived on a farm in Colorado. I went out into the landlords pasture/river bank with trees, etc and practiced lots. I could hit a 1/2 gal paper milk cartons filled with water every time. 5 shots in a minute - special shootings vest with the "ammo" arranged across the front of vest was a critical part of the program. BUT the key was lots of practice. Loved every minute of it too!

#82 ·
I think a novice will wound more animals trying to use a larger caliber. I do not believe that you can compensate for a lack of ability with brute firepower. Rather than making up for a bad shot, that will cause bad shots.

I have hunted and taken down deer with smaller rifles(223,243,44-40) within a 100 yards, this year went up to my stand at end of the day with my 270 thought i had perfect kill shoot rite to lungs after the deer layed for a few min i crawled down and just as i hit the ground this deer jumped rite up jumped a brush pile and out of sight.... so the way i think if you hunt with a smaller gun and hit a deer and it drops you must have hit something in the rite spot.unlike larger rifles that just by making a hit might knock it off its feet.. idk just what i have been thinking about since that happened to me might be wrong..but a 243 is a good deer rifle up to 100-150 yards i don't try anything longer when i have used mine..

the other day my girlfriend used my old 32 rem , that a couple guys helped me out on with reloading info on the forum here :thumbsup..... and she loves that gun

#87 ·
Longest responsible shot would be 150 yards
All most all of the lever guns will do the trick at 150 yards, but that's about it! I have an aquaintance in LA, who hunts right on the border between LA, and TX. His wife fills her tags every year, and she uses a 9mm carbine. All shots are up close, as she only hunts thickets.

#93 ·

Attachments

#94 ·
Hmmm I thought that they were a site supporter
Lost me on this one Jon..... who's a site supporter and did ya just post this one in the wrong forum?

#95 ·
Arms-list, I still haven't found anything that ashley likes. I figured the model 1 would appeal to her. By the way I haven't forgotten about the leather woven sling. Im still looking around for some decent stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.