Lima Beans & Ham Hocks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lead Lobber, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

If there is anything better and simpler for an old bachelor to fix, please report. Recipes should be very brief, simple, and delicious. Slurp :)

LL
  2. Well, there's always chili. :D
  3. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

Love chili, but it's a little more complex than L B & H H, and other bean based creations. I've only made it from scratch a couple of times, once from a recipe on line that reportedly was Wendys private version. Darn good, that was, too - included celery and allspice, of all things, plus most of the usual ingredients.

LL
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Lima beans...Bleh!

How about Tostidos corn chips and jalapeno bean dip...Made many a meal out of that. :D
  5. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Beans & hocks get my vote every time:D pintos, red, white, black, navy, 15 beans soup just as long as it has beans in it it will be good:p ;)
  6. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

Chunk a big ol' hunk of beef on the grill and bake a tader. Can't beat that.
  7. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

you just have to like a gun forum that the main topic is BEANS:D :D :D
    I think not sure but think I could live on beans and ammo:rolleyes: :D :p
    My wants in life are simple

Attached Files:

8. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Hey Lead

Do you have an offset smoker?

When I cook up too much brisket (or whatever) I'll double wrap the leftovers and put it in the freezer for quick fixins later.

Were having a lil 'ol crawfish boil/get together tomorrow so I Just put on some red beans w/peas, smoked chicken, smoked sausage links, onion, garlic, ect and mild cajun spices for the women folk, so the guys can tear those mud bugs up. :D

Crpdeth
  9. What time's dinner, Donny? :D
  10. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Whan beans a mention around here I allways think of glockNUT.:D :D
  11. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Tomorrow at noon Rich!

It wouldn't do for the two of us to be there...Off in the corner of the yard slurping on muddies, talking firearms and down right unsociable to anyone who wanted to talk of anything else. :D

'Cept maybe for History... Or shall I say the "origin" of that bottle of scotch you brought with you for dessert. :D

Crpdeth
  12. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Just throw an 2" strip on the fire. Easiest to fix and greatest to eat!!!!!
  13. henry0reilly

henry0reilly Member

Easy bachelor food

meat
    bbq sauce
    carrots
    onion
    taters

wrap in foil

put in a cold oven at 500 degrees - turn down to 400 after 30 minutes - remove or turn down to 200 after an additional 45 minutes.

Sometimes I fire up the charcoal grill to cook steaks or whatever. After the open flame cooking is done I cook beef, chicken, & pork in separate foil wraps and just leave them on 'til the charcoal is almost cold - stash in the fridge and I don't have to cook meat again for 3 or 4 days.
  14. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

This is simple.
    It uses several ingredients but only one skillet and a griddle. (or 2 skillets).
    And is delicious!!!
    It's all I knew how to cook when me and my 2nd ex-wife split up back in the 80's so I ate it every day.
    I never did get tired of it.
    Then I'd make the rounds of my buddy's wives and get them to make me a pecan pie.
    That way, I wouldn't wear one of them out.:)
    Anyway, here it is.

Ritz Omelet (and it isn't like a breakfast omelet)

Breakfast sausage
    1 Bell pepper
    1 sm onion
    3 or 4 stalks celery
    1 lg can of tomato sauce
    a can of v8 if you like it
    some shrooms if you like them
    Ritz crackers
    cheese - whatever kind you like

cook the sausage then put in a bowl for later
    dice up the trinity:
    bell pepper, onion and celery and saute until tender.
    salt and pepper while they are sauteing and your kitchen will smell great
    when soft, add cooked sausage and tomato sauce
    turn fire down and simmer while you are cooking the omelet

if you eat a lot, make a 3 egg omelet.
    3 eggs beaten
    add 1 tube crushed Ritz cracker crumbs
    stir for a thick batter
    cook on a griddle or in a skillet (the batter will spread out much better on a cold griddle. pat it with the fork you stirred it with to spread it out)
    when you turn it over, put the shredded cheese on half of it and let it melt while the 2nd side is cooking,
    when done, cut down the middle and fold over with the cheese inside.
    Pour sauce all over it and pig out.
    It also makes a dandy snack without the sauce.
  15. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

I should throw in one of my own favorites for a big, late breakfast, or anytime really. I call it breakfast hash, or whatever. One primary ingredient needs to be prepared a day or more ahead: baked potatoes. I always bake a few and keep them on ice. Anyhow, prepare this, start to finish, in a well seasoned 10" cast iron skillet.

Over a slow fire, render 2 - 3 thick cut slices of your favorite bacon. It can be cut up before hand, or broken up after rendering and cooling. It really doesn't matter. What was that Bill Murray movie when he kept telling Rudy the Rabbit the same thing? But I am wandering again .... garlic is always welcome ...

While this is going on, chunk up one half of a large baked spud, and about half an onion, or so, then go on to beating several large eggs with a little salt and pepper. Other optional ingredients could be bell peppers, green or riper red, tongue of young yak, or fermented agave worms. It really doesn't matter. Make this YOUR recipe.

Once the bacon is rendered to hog heaven crispiness, set it on a paper towel to cool before chunking up. Oh, I almost forgot, get the coffee started first, and picture this before you: Both hands cupped, mounded high with grated extra sharp cheddar cheese. Lucky I don't have to write recipes for a living, I would get it all mixed up!

Anyhow, you want to pour most of the bacon fat off into a jar that you should have already in the ice box for other uses, then put the spuds and onions on to brown, salting lightly and peppering heavily (depending on your tastes). I always toss red pepper flakes and a little cayenne on at this point, with what some may deem reckless abandon, but I am a hopeless pepper head. Oh, don't forget the bacon, it can go in here about now, or what ever other breakfast meats suit your current fancy. You can even combine a few; this recipe is not chiseled in stone.

Now, what you have so far is quite good by itself. But not having the abilitiy to leave a good thing alone, and knowing that beat up eggs make an excellent cast iron pan cleaner, here's what's next (as if I have to instruct further - you all must have the idea by now :) )

When your spuds, bacon, and onions are looking irresistable, pour the eggs in, and let it be for, I don't know, 10, 15, 20 seconds? Stir gently, while recalling your last girl friend. Depends on heat, but eggs do best on medium, or so, or cook the eggs like you always do. The cheese goes in shortly before plating - just stir it in gently until it appears mostly melted, and the eggs are still moist looking (they continue to cook from internal heat after removal from the pan).

That's about it, you should be eating by now. It's a hot, cheesy-tangy-eggy-meaty-chunky delite. Kind of like my last girl friend. Wandering off again ....

Enjoy the day!

LL

post scriptum - if your doctor warns you your cholesterol levels are too low, butter the bacon generously before slapping it in the skillet.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  16. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Lead, had breakfast yet? Go to the Ruffit's section & check out the pic's on the last post. You'll be ready to eat again! :)
  17. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I just made something similar that was D-lishous:p

We had bought a ham at "Honey-baked" ham store & the girl sold us a little $2.99 box of beans & flavor packet for the left-over ham bone.

Just boiled 'em up for a while & man was that good.

That ham wasn't half bad either.
  18. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

What's wrong with a big hunk meat on the grill and a tader? It don't get any simpler than that! Well, add a beer or some wine.
  19. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

This one takes a slow cooker:
    1 pound meat cut in 1 1/2 inch cubes (I prefer Elk but beef works fine too) I Flour my meat for the stew in a Ziploc bag then brown meat in a skillet.
    1/2 pound carrots
    2 large Baker potatoes (1 1/2 lbs.) cut into two inch cubes
    1 16 oz. can Diced Tomatoes
    1 16 oz. can Tomato Sauce
    1 medium to small onion chopped the way you like them.I like large chunks.
    3 to 4 cloves Garlic
    1 cup beef broth
    16 oz,corn (frozen works) can be added an hour before meal is ready
    Place ingredients into the crock pot.Place enough water in crock pot to bring water level up 3/4 the way to the top of the ingredients.Do not fill all the way up to the top of the ingredients.If the fluid level drops below where you can not see the fluid put in another can of beef broth.Place temperature control on low for approximately eight (8) hours. Leave for five or six hours. When the potatoes are done normally so is everything else.
    I hope you enjoy the stew. catfish
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  20. glocknut

glocknut New Member

ALTERNATIVE-FUEL-SOURCE....... need i say more?!!! :D

mike
    gn