1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

1. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Somebody asked for this recipe, and I got it.

It's very easy to make. For this one, I was using what peppers I had just picked, so that's why the amounts might seem a bit weird. For a hotter sauce, just add more peppers.

Ingredients
    4 oz fresh picked cayenne peppers (about 10-12)
    3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
    4 cloves garlic
    1/2 ts salt
    1/2 ts chili powder
    1/2 ts coriander
    juice and zest of 1/2 a lime (= about 1 tbs juice if you don't have a fresh lime)

- De-stem and cut the peppers into 6-7, roughly 1/2" pieces. If you don't like the heat, remove seeds and membranes. But really, we're talking about hot sauce here, so leave in the seeds and membranes unless you're just a wuss in men's clothing.
    - In a saucepan, bring everything but the lime juice and zest to a low boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 5-10 min.
    - Remove from heat and allow to cool. Once cooled down, pour into a blender or food processor, add the lime juice and zest and process until you have a sauce. Pour into a jar. This size batch filled up a 12 oz jar perfectly for me.

Depending on your processor, your sauce will have more or less bits of pepper skin in it, so it may have a bit more body than a commercial sauce. Most recipes I looked at said to put the freshly prepared stuff in a cool, dark place for a week or three to develop flavor, but it tastes pretty good right off the bat, imo. If you have dried peppers, some people suggest that you reconstitute them for a few days in vinegar before making a batch.

Cut and pasted from the originator's email.