The Firearms Forum banner

List of Vietnam Veterans Per State

40K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  SF Mike 
G
#1 ·
oneknight
(5/8/01 12:51:00 am)
| Del All List of Vietnam Veterans Per State
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"THE BEST MEDAL IS A LIVE MAN'S SMILE."

Alabama 104,244 Nebraska 53,054

Alaska 31,044 Nevada 60,825

Arizona 144,728 New Hampshire 45,321

California 951,588 New Jersey 198,956

Colorado 154,208 New Mexico 61,136

Connecticut 96,106 New York 413,404

Delaware 23,988 North Carolina 228,364

Florida 466,274 North Dakota 20,067

Georgia 243,947 Ohio 353,871

Hawaii 41,860 Oregon 122,692

Idaho 36,994 Pennsylvania 366,757

Illinois 321,959 Rhode Island 30,566

Indiana 179,080 South Carolina 128,420

Iowa 87,270 South Dakota 21,599

Kansas 87,084 Tennessee 167,187

Kentucky 115,854 Texas 594,705

Louisiana 124,824 Utah 45,699

Maine 49,491 Vermont 19,542

Maryland 175,577 Virginia 264,902

Massachusetts 166,251 Washington 232,426

Michigan 290,593 West Virginia 59,413

Mississippi 67,325 Wisconsin 150,690

Missouri 180,474 Wyoming 150,690

Montana 32,689

TOTAL: 8,184.654

AMERICA'S COST 179 billion

homer4
(5/8/01 5:38:34 am)
| Del Re: List of Vietnam Veterans Per State
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maryland here.Boy!,thats alot...over 8 million!...never imagined that Donna.
...and two hard boiled eggs.

dap22
Senior Chief Moderator II
(5/8/01 10:06:08 am)
Damn.............more'n I figured as well!

Genog
(5/8/01 10:40:39 am)
$179,000,000,000 divided by approx 58,000 lives. Doesn't seem quite worth it.
Geno G

hope6970
(5/8/01 12:50:38 pm)
Good post there Donna!! Brings it closer to home. - Hope

hansenjim
(5/8/01 9:57:29 pm)
Unfortunately, the list is either of all veterans or has some other problem. There were only 2.5 million who served in Vietnam.

It's a little difficult to count 8 million VIETNAM vets.

By the way, after trying for a couple of months, I finally was able to register.

Jim

Indybear57
(5/8/01 10:01:54 pm)
| Del
ezSupporter
Re: List of Vietnam Veterans Per State
Welcome aboard Jim! Always good to see a new face in the crowd.

Mike L

hansenjim
(5/8/01 10:12:59 pm)
Well, I'm not exactly a new face. I'm the Jim from the MSNBC board.

I've been lurking and made a few posts as unregistered. Then it wouldn't take unregistered posts anymore. It's taken a couple of months and numerous trys for registration to be successful.

Jim

hope6970
(5/8/01 10:31:27 pm)

Welcome back Jim. About time you get back to the board. I didn't
have anyone to tell my big rat story to...lol

Hope

Tac401
Administrator
(5/9/01 12:45:47 am)
| Del
ezSupporter
Re: List of Vietnam Veterans Per State
Welcome back Jim!

Stand by while I get rid of that Registered User
title and replace it with a member title, your
next post should say Member.

JD
The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Copr6
Senior Chief Moderator III
(5/9/01 6:34:23 am)
Welcome back Jim!

homer4
(5/10/01 6:41:15 pm)
Welcome back Kotter! ER! UH! I mean Jim. Glad to meet ya!
...and two hard boiled eggs.

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome Hard Heart....you sure dug up an old posting with that one...Names I've not seen for years and some we'll never see on here again...That one being the original 'RAMROD', JD (aka) Steve, TAC 401. He passed away a bit like 2 years ago...I'm kinda the welcoming hand on here...Chief...not because I'm and Indian but my former navy days...Yeah, I read down thru the list of commentators...hell, that posting was from March of 2003...I'd sure like it if any of the old troopers were to read this would checkin and update...How's life been treating them...the impact of almost a decade on their lives and their welfare...The country has changed more than most of us could ever have imagined back in 03. If you get a chance Heart, and are so inclined, come back and visit with us...Chief

#6 ·
Speaking of those folks who claim to have been there Snake...at Home Depot a few days ago was a fellow sporting a Vietnam Veteran cap..We were both in the same lumber area, but I wasn't covered...I thanked him for his service and inquired what years he'd been in country and where..he told me some Viet sounding names and I remarked they must be down in the delta...kind of a rhetorical question and he said yes they were...I referred to the term UP, meaning north of course, and told him I was pretty familar I Corp areas...Just got the feel that he was very uncomfortable so I didn't prod the poor clown ...Later at the cashier checkout I noted he had the cap rolled up in his back pocket...what makes them do that...something missing or just not stirred properly!!! Chief

#7 ·
Speaking of those folks who claim to have been there Snake...at Home Depot a few days ago was a fellow sporting a Vietnam Veteran cap..We were both in the same lumber area, but I wasn't covered...I thanked him for his service and inquired what years he'd been in country and where..he told me some Viet sounding names and I remarked they must be down in the delta...kind of a rhetorical question and he said yes they were...I referred to the term UP, meaning north of course, and told him I was pretty familar I Corp areas...Just got the feel that he was very uncomfortable so I didn't prod the poor clown ...Later at the cashier checkout I noted he had the cap rolled up in his back pocket...what makes them do that...something missing or just not stirred properly!!! Chief
Yeah, you know Chief I don't know either. When I got back telling someone you just got back from Vietnam was a sure way to get the cold shoulder. Then over the years is became fashionable and all of a sudden everyone wanted to be a Viet. Vet. The book Stolen Valor by B.G. Burkett documents how it happened and details many, many sad strories of poser cases.

#10 ·
There was a discovery here in Akron awhile back of a guy who had been quite active in either the American Legion or VFW for years. He claimed to have been a Marine but wore a green beret (a whiz bang super secret ninja for sure). He was the post chaplain and there was video of him leading a prayer at a memorial day service. It turns out he really was in the Marine Corps...for about two weeks. They sent him home labeled unfit for military service.

I suppose one should get really pissed off about that, but I can't. I just see him as a pathetic creature and kinda pity him. For whatever reason the military obviously meant a lot to him and he has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge that he is an imposter and a fraud that couldn't cut it. To me that is about as much punishment as a living soul can receive.

#11 ·
I agree Running with your feelings...kind of like the Good Samaritan who hears of the need for blood donors and rushes to give his blood only to be denied because he has a terminal disease....During my stint, 1951 at the navy boot camp in SanDiego, there was a special company set aside for the so-called 'misfits and malcontents'..Company 808 and there was always rude and ugly jokes about the place....It's not as bad as those who claim something they never were and ultimately believing it themselves...Chief

#12 · (Edited)
i carry a small wireless laptop with a 10" screen pretty much everywhere , i've 5 batteries for it and it all fits in a small pack , when folks start swinging stories i bring this up

http://www.vietnamroll.gov.au/

you folks aught to organise your own

cuts the guts outta the wanna be's and such

even lists all the reporters civilians and dogs who went

but that stated the former head of the POW association here turned out to be a 100% fake and is now doing 6 year at the age of 92 for his crime

#14 ·
I know I've mentioned my age before, but what the hell..."I feel damned great, near 78"!!! October 26, I will be that age and never been under the knife other that a late life circumcision....but, you didn't want to know that, huh? I was born at home during the height of the great depression and more than a few times didn't have even the proper food, until as a ward of the court, went to live on an Iowa farm with relatives.. Entering the service to my country, even during wartime (Korean), was the best investment I ever made..I had stayed in school and graduated in 1951, the same year as I entered the Navy. I married in 1955, had 4 kids, lots of grandkids, and beginning the greats. I'm now sounding as if I'm flaunting my success...I'm very proud of my country, and if requested to do so even at my age, I'd serve again in whatever capacity I was able....GOD BLESS AMERICA....Amen...

#15 ·
Rooters post shows a good example of how there were at least 3 different generations that served in Vietnam. There were the folks that were WWII & Korea Veterans early on in the late 50's and early 60's. There were the post-WWII folks like Rooter who graduated high school and joined the service before I was born in 1952, who served in Vietnam during the mid-60's. Then there were the baby boomers like myself who served in Vietnam during late 60's and early 70's. It always amazes me that such a wide group participated. These days with the long term engagement we have in middle -Asia it probably isn't that unusual. The number of tour those guys have served is astounding.

#16 ·
I'm 64... I stay happy aggravating liberals :na-na:

#17 · (Edited)
I will be that age and never been under the knife other that a
late life circumcision....
:dance: Owie...Owie...Owie... :thud:

#19 ·
There were a lot of foreign nationals who were recruited into SF in the early days under the "Lodge Act."

It gave jobs to a lot of DPs and also gave us windows and paths under and through the Iron curtain.
Besides Czech freedom fighters, I served with several former Luftwaffe and Wehrmacht guys. A couple former Legionaires would only describe their service as "brutal."

As a young man, I got exposed to some very interesting stuff, including VN.

I am not a warmonger, but I feel everybody needs to get up off his or her behind and do a couple years involved in something bigger than themselves.

I know a lot of draftees who are glad they did that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.