List the good stuff to buy

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Michael G, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Michael G

Michael G New Member

With gun stores selling all their ammunition on site or on the web, many people like me see pictures (on the web) or boxes of ammunition on shelves (not that many here in Dallas) from makers we've never heard of, or from companies that have names similar to well known companies.
    It's getting harder to decide which company to buy from without spending a fortune. So any help in listing companies to stay away from (or you've had a bad experience with) would be helpful to those like me that don't reload our own.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

My theorys and do not pick list for ammo :

1. stay away from any steel cased ammo; it's dirt cheap, but you know the saying. If you're just in the mood to throw a few hundred rounds down range with an SKS, then go ahead and use'm, but not for much else.

1a) make sure it says "non-corrosive" on the box, unless you're like me and dont mind doing a little extra cleaning at the range.

2. ammo manufactures that I'll tend to avoid Prvi-Partisan - just dirty IMO and not very consistent. Wolf - dirt, a little more consistent though, but still not worth the money Remington UMC - this may make others good list, but I've had enough minor problems with it to make me not want to buy it ever again.

3. ammo that I will buy, if I ever need some factory; I would much rather reload. For cheap plinking ammo- Magtech has been the overall best performer for me. For defense ammo - Fed Hydra-shoks are my choice.
    General use - Winchester white box is ok, PMC, Fed American Eagle are all reliable to use. Fiocchi has always done me well; S&B is ok, but the sealed primers make it a bit more of a chore to reload.

Bottom line is this, if you've got a question about a specific type of ammo or which bullet weight to use, just post it up and these types of questions will get answered fairly quickly in most cases. With all the variations and purpose specific ammo's out there, just supply what your need and situation is and we'll get you suitable answers.

US surplus ammo is darn good plinking ammo too, buy in bulk and it's pretty cost effective too.

Semper Fi,
    Woolley
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Wolley has some good points.

I would also throw in one other thing. There are some rifles that do not like the tar type bullet sealer some manufactures use. So it would be good to let us know what rifle your shooting out of also.
  4. gandog56

gandog56 Member

Nothing wrong with steel cased ammo. Just that the primers might be corrosive and require a little more careful cleaning. For plinking, it's all good.