Little bitta waterfowl'n

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Chinook, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Had a couple hours to go have fun today. Got the boat up the river, and started pokin around the sliughs, and side channels. Not much happenin, 'cept for the hi-flyers on a mission to somewhere... Decided to set out a small spread(about 1/2 dz. each) of Wigeon, Wood Ducks, Green Wing Teal, 3 Goose floaters, and 1 Magnum Hen Mallard. Pretty basic for the NW, and considered really, really light for the Pacific Flyway in general. But the birds that saw the spread seemed to like it. I had the travelling pair of Mallards work the deeks for what seemed like hours. But prolly only 2, or 3 minutes. After checkin things out, they dumped in, feet down, and got hammered on. A bit later, I had a group of Wigeon lookin like they were locked on, but none decided to hit the deck, and I hate tryin to sky-bust on birds not actually interested... So I let them work back down river. I decided to pick up, and move downstream, closer to the boat slide. To try to get one more set to work the decoy spread I was using. It got dark about the time I got to the new spot, so I just hit the britches, and headed in. Jumped this Western along the way too! It woulda got away had it not decided to dump a load on my boat. He was up at like 40 yds. and dropped a bomb, before it hit my treasured upholstery:p, he had about 40, BB hex shot in him, and another shell chambered. Didnt need it tho. He folded, and express airmailed himself over 150 feet upstream from my boat! But I upped the ante for geese specifically, to the 3 1/2" Winchester BlindSide's in BB size "hex-shot." And the one, 3 1/2" shell I've had the chance to use...Performed like a champion. Great new shotshells for waterfowl hunter limited to non-toxic shot. Not a hot day of fowl'n, but all in all a sweet afternoon, and the big northern Mallards are impressive in my little world of Ducks. We dont see many "double curl" GreenHeads 'round these parts, so the chance to harvest 2 mature, prime specimens is always a sweet deal. Have fun, and be safe out there all!

Kinda hard to see 'em, but theres two ducks in there somewhere!(crazy how the blend into the camo.)
    [​IMG]

The Magnum Green Head! He's a mounter(for me anyhow) for sure! Beautiful bird.
    [​IMG]

And the days haul. Nice, big birds today!
    [​IMG]
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Makin me hungry...... Nice birds !
  3. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Thanks! I decided to freeze the Green Head. Im gonna get 'im mounted! I dont really do the taxidermy gig, as the main purpose for me harvesting game, is food. But every once in a while, something impressive comes along. This was impressive enough for me!

But the Goose, and the Hen, got cut into strips, and put into my Can-Cooker contraption. Pretty neat device... But it turned out better than expected. I soaked the breasts, and thigh meat in a light salt water mix for a few hours, and it really cleans up the flavor profile. Kinda evens it out a little, if that makes sense. Then soaked it in a wet brine for another hour. A double cycle in the Can Cooker for the fowl, and add veggies, and little bit of elk trimmings for the last half.. Excellent!