Living will / advance directive

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by Jay, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Jay

Jay New Member

Just a suggestion folks......

I work at a VA hospital, and we have several long term care units. Weekly, there are issues involving living wills, and advance directives. I'm certainly no expert, but I would offer a few views.....

advance directives obviously are those wishes that you want or don't want this or that treatment, or device used if you can't make the decision at that time. Do not overlook creating a durable power of attorney for health care. You can appoint anyone, not just relatives. I went one step further and had my immediate family members sign a separate agreement NOT to attempt to alter the contents of the advance directives I've set forth.

I've seen many a living will challenged and changed by family members, when the "end of life" draws near.

Hopefully, this Schiavo case will educate a few folks and prevent this situation in the future.

Links abound online.... here's an example :

http://www.uslivingwillregistry.com/forms.shtm
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Thanks Jay. A timely reminder, and something we all need to consider.
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Thanks so much for the reminder.

I can't suggest more strongly that each of us should have these documents.