1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

llama 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Luke, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Luke

Luke New Member

hi there i recently found a llama1911 .45 cal model IX-A for $325 and have it on hold at the gun store. I was wondering, is this gun overpriced? its in very good condition, i belive it was produces in the 50's, and has what looks like a police or military set-up, having a lanyard loop on the bottom of the grips. I was wondering if this is a good starter handgun, or if theres somthing better that i can buy for the money, being only 16 i dont have much to spend.... maby another type of 1911, around the same price, because i've heard that the llamas arn't all that great. thanks,
    Luke
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I agree with that opinion.
  3. travihanson

travihanson New Member

Yeah....I would probably save my pennies and buy a Springfield in the used department or out of a local swap/sell/trade guide.
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Don't hold it.....let it go. First off, it's overpriced.

Blue Book value:

Llama Model IXA:

98% - $295
    95% - $235
    90% - $195
    80% - $180

Secondly....while most Llamas look fine from the outside, they tend to be poorly finished on the inside. Poor fit & finish, pretty crude machine work, etc.

Thirdly.....the biggest knock on Llamas is very inconsistant quality control. If you get a good one, it's OK (not great, merely OK). If you get a poor one, it's a "jam-o-matic".

For just a little bit more, you can usually find a used Springfield or Kimber.....both far superior guns.
  5. You're being overly generous, Pick. POS is more like it. :D
  6. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

1950s and 1960s Llamas were actually good guns. It is difficult for an inexperienced person to tell when the guns were made. Later Llamas are hit/miss.
    I would suggest a different gun for a new shooter.
    Bill
  7. hankroberts

hankroberts New Member

The firearm is overpriced: you can get a Thompson or Springfield for about the same, and have a better deal.

I've owned several Llamas, and been satisfied with each of them. However, you need to understand two things going in: the pistol almost always needs work on the action (which I don't mind doing) and on many Llamas, the modifications in design mean that not all generic 1911 parts will work in it.
  8. Luke

Luke New Member

ok thanks for all your opinions it is a late 50's or early 60's i was told, but i think im just going to end up buying a walther P-38 off of JGsales, only 250 bucks
    thanks,
    Luke
  9. 909RAI

909RAI New Member

i hate llamas with a passion they break all the time mine fell victim to reapeted firing pin problems and jammed alot when it was working it was a horible 1st time buyer 45 got rid of it and went to SA
  10. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I've had two and got rid of them both. Very unreliable in my opinion and poorly made. Quality contol didn't exist in the plant where mine came from. I bought them from the Rod and Gun Club where I was stationed at in Germany in the mid 60's. They were cheap and for good reason.
  11. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Do Not Buy the Llama! Do Not buy the Llama.

repeat after me, Do not Buy the Lama!
  12. If ya gotta buy a llama, make it one of these Luke. At least these guys are useful for something!

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2007
  13. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Jes' don't let'em spit in yore eye.
  14. AR1911

AR1911 New Member

Now you guys oughta go easy on them Spaniards. Those Basque gunmakers knew how to make fine guns, and did so for most of a century.
    I have a couple of .380s made in the 1940s very nice scaled-down 1911s.
    They are a pleasure to hold and behold, and good workmanship is evident. I would call them equal to a Sistema of the same era.
    I also have a Max-I made around 2000. This gun has not been fired but seems well-made. I have disassembled it and found no faults or roughness. I have heard nothing about this model except that they are reliable workhorses.
    Gabilano (?) or Llama went through a spell in the 1970s and 1980s when their quality was suspect. Those guns are pretty evident just by looking at them - they look rough. Those are the guns that gave Llama the reputation that put them under.
    But anything made before or after was worthwhile, in my opinion. The last decade of production turned out some decent guns, and real bargains.