Llama 45

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ammo4real, Nov 1, 2006.

1. ammo4real

ammo4real New Member

HEllo !! can anyone out there tell me about the last 45 made by Llama ? The pistol looks to be a winner but I know that Llama went out of business. My local gun shop has one and the price is tolerable,,should I invest? Thanks for your response. ammo4real
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Not if you want to make any money! ;) :D

Some people like them and some don't. Not my cup of tea!

IPT
  3. lead

lead Well-Known Member

I've found that most shops will not offer you much for a Llama if you ever want to trade it off. If you buy it, make sure you are happy with the price, and that the shop will offer some kind of guarantee on it. I've heard of Llamas that worked fine, but some are jam-o-matics.
    Stick with factory ammo in it too.
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

If you really want to make an investment buy an AK their prices are steadily climbing now that their is another ban in effect
  5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

They shoot reliably, but don't use any hot ammo. My friend's Llama got real bent and battered with ammo that his Colt 1911 never even noticed. There was one sitting at a gun show not too long ago near NIB, and it couldn't sell for $225. Finally at the end of the show it sold for $160. Spare mags are expensive, as much as $45 each.
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi ammo4real.....welcome to TFF.

Well.....I certainly wouldn't call the purchase of a Llama and investment. An investment would be to buy a collectable gun that will increase in value.

Llamas are not collectable, and probably never will be.

If you want just a "shooter", Llamas are cheap, and are considered on the bottom end of the M1911 scale. There are two main problems with them. Very uneven Quality Control....some work well, some are jam-o-matics, and some of them had pretty soft metal and don't hold up well over a period of time.

If you want a M1911-type .45, best to save up your money and get a quality firearm like a Kimber or Springfield.
  7. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    If you are not familar with the acronyms FTF & FTE...

You will be after you purchase a Llama....:D
  8. If you want a Llama, ammo, you would be better off buying one of the furry kind. They're cute, you could harvest the wool to knit into sweaters, and it also might help keep you lawn trimmed up. :D ;)
  9. phlmorgan

phlmorgan New Member

I have one and it shoots well. I would not spend much money on it, but if you get lucky and its a good one it will be a fun little shooter. Don't use non brass ammo in it.

The only problem I ever had with mine was a few jams on the first shoot. Since then no other problems what-so-ever, but if you can afford a couple of hundred more you might look into picking up Springfield.