Llama or the Para LDA?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ARB, May 15, 2009.

1. ARB

ARB New Member

I have been trying to decide between the Llama .40 ss $350 or the Para LDA 9mm $895 at the local gunshop. Obviously, the price of the Llama is enticing and the fact that it is stainless steel even more so. But the weight of the LDA blew me away! Don't know much about either pistol except for the fact that I see Para in the magazines a heck of a lot more. The purpose of this pistol is for carry. So, you got a stainless pistol or a light one. An expensive one or one not so much.
    Let me have it ladies and gents. I don't want either to get away.:)
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

just an opinion mind you but walk away from the llama , they have a spotty track record. remember the old saying you get what you pay for. and llama is also out of business, getting spare parts might become a hassle
  3. ARB

ARB New Member

Interesting,interesting. What can you tell me about the Para? And have you ever owned a Llama or known someone who has? I'm only asking because I'd like to know about their record. And $895 seems like a lot of moola for a used pistol. Of course, I'm not one to gamble too much with my well being. :)
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

have not owned a para but have sold more than a few and everyone seemed well pleased. the lda model was a hot seller and have seen a few go out the store never one complaint. the fact that you do not see many used ones speaks highy of it. people buy them and keep them. 895 :eek: seems a tad to high i suspect the seller is trying to cash in on the shortages but if you were to get it you'd be pleased with it para... has been around a while and can be trusted.
  5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

one other note... you'll get people telling you get a springfield or a rock island and save the money. true those are good selling work horses but they aren't para's nor do they come in LDA and it's like the difference between a hyundi and an bmw....again just opinions.
  6. ARB

ARB New Member

Really?! I initially was looking at the springfields but couldn't find one for the life of me. You stated that the LDA was a tad high and it seems apparent that you own a gun shop, what do you think I should offer. Keep in mind I am a terrible haggler (learned that in Mexico).
  7. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

owned a shop once upon a time now work in the same shop part time as a sales person and a smith ( 1911's) mainly installations of mag wells and beaver tails hammers lightening up trigger pulls etc... in my mind if you were to offer 800 out the door it would be a fair price for both ???? but keep in mind these are hard to come by and as you've already discovered 45's / 1911's are hard to keep on the shelf.
  8. ARB

ARB New Member

Thank you, for the wealth of information. I, by no means want to low ball anyone since this is a consignment sale. The price of $800.00 seems like something I can work with. Now, I just need to sell my Berreta Px4 Storm to get that one. :)
  9. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

trade it in .... as long as you know you'll get hosed a bit. common practice = book value - 30 % example if the book states a retail value of 500.00 in 90% condition the shop owner will deduct 30% from this for a trade in value.and know this up-front the dealers almost all of them will look at a gun we would rate at 95% and tell you it's 85% :( a very seedy lot these dealer are :D
  10. ARB

ARB New Member

So far these guys seem to be pretty cool. I actually just got off the phone with one of them to verify the price. It's not $895 it's $849. Brand new, they go for $999, at least on their website. I'll probably ask about $500.00 for the Berreta. It is in pristine condition, just not a good fit for me.
    As a side note. The first time I walked into this place, someone kept saying hello to me. I'd look in the general direction and say hello back. Well, after about five times I thought this a bit strange. That's of course when I noticed the stupid parrot behind the counter! Don't ask me why I can't decifer between a parrot and a human, but I'm sure the owners got a kick out of it.:D:eek:
  11. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I know no one who has owned a Llama but I agree with the others to avoid this. You can find other used pistols in the Llamas price range.

Now I'd like to address something you didn't ask. How committed are you to a .40? If you have never fired a .40 I would suggest that you go to a range with gun rental and try one out. I won't bad rap the .40 except to say that had I had some range time with one I might have considered other calibers. When I made my purchase I chose the .40S&W based on what I'd heard and read. It's my opinion the round was overhyped as an "almost" 10mm with the accuracy of a 9mm. Wrong on both points.
  12. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

good points running... the 40 was a solution to a problem that didn't exsist. though i know the 10 mm battered the 1911 frames to death downsizeing the 10 to a 40 was reinventing the wheel. yes i know you can hold more 40 s&w in the magazine than a 45 but so what......there are hi cap 45's that are manageable grip wise . never a fan of the 40
  13. ARB

ARB New Member

The Berreta that I'm getting rid of is a .40. I, to have heard much hype about this caliber. Neither the pistol or the ammo it fires has really done much for me. The Para is a Carry 9, now, it has been awhile since I've handled a 9mm but the 1911 framing is ultimately what I'm after. I can't get used to all that polymer!
  14. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Oh, it's a 9mm in a 1911 frame? Then I'd say go for it and don't waste your money on the Llama. Para has a great reputation.

P.S. Just reread your original post and realized I missed where you said it was a 9mm. I saw .40 cal and thought both the Llama and Para were .40's.
    Last edited: May 15, 2009
  15. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have owned two Llama's in the past several years, both were .380's. The first one was a great little pistol, well built, had a good fit and finish, and relatively accurate for what it was. My First Sergeant wanted it so I sold it to him. A few years later, I decided I wanted another .380 and the first one I thought of was the Llama so I bought another one. In the span of about 15 years, the quality of Llama's was a drastic difference. The second one I bought was a true piece of junk. I kept it about a month and got rid of it, and I would never buy another Llama. Just my two cents worth. Go for the Para, I think I would like a 1911 in 9mm.