lLorcin Engineering 9mm

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Rhuga, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Rhuga

Rhuga New Member

I just bought a Lorcin Engineering 9mm. It is in excellent shape for a used weapon and is a full size auto. I paid $129.00 plus shipping.

Anyone have any experience with this gun? Or, is it just a good wall hanger?
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

lorcin has had bad name from long past.. most of us that own them don't fire them.. or fire them anymore. they were notorious for FTF and stovepiping.

much of that could be remidied by using factory FMJ ammo and taking the gun apart, cleaning, and doing a lil hand fitting on the slide and moving parts that may have machine flashing or burs / rough areas.. etc. I got my lorcin .38u0 to feed well on fmj and only stovepipe occasionally after a lil bit of work.

I'd have to say that a hi point is a much higher quality firearm.. :)
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Moderator

Lorcin was one of the saturday night specials that many of us warn people to stay away from. As stated they had many problems with feeding and ejecting. Most were better single shot handguns than semi autos. The real problem was the zinc alloy they were made of. Its soft. They are more known for catastrofic failures such as blown apart slides and distroyed frames. And the caliber of the gun goes hand and hand with the probablility of that happening, 9mm being the worse.
  4. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

NEVER fire any hand loads through it. A very finikie (sp?) pistol. Never saw one "blow apart" but never saw one function correctly which is very frustrating.
  5. Rhuga

Rhuga New Member

If this gun can perform as well as my Hi-Point 9mm. I will be happy. Otherwise, I have a single shot 9-shooter. Lol
  6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

It wont. That is unless you have an unusually bad Hi Point, which the factory will be happy to fix for you.
  7. north tex

north tex Member

Lorcin... have had a 380 one for about 15 years. It's been fired 6 or 7 times in the last 10 years. It has been relegated to emergency use only.
    One of their bad points was that they used the firing pin as the ejector. First it is not enough to force proper ejection. It has always had a "stove pipe" problem. Especially on the last round in the mag.
    Second when you cycle live ammo through it every round gets punched in the primer by the firing pin. I know that normally there is not enough resistance to cause the primer to fire but it's not a good idea to tempt fate.
    The little round take down catch at the rear of the slide is not adequate in my opinion. Mine has not failed yet but I'm not tempting it very much any more.
    Good luck with yours. It may work okay but don't ever put 100% trust in it.
  8. soundguy

i agree.. I don't find hi point very pretty to look at nor compact.. however.. they always go bang when you pull the trigger and do't explode.. and do eject..

I have a 45acp carbine and a buddy has the 9mm carbine. they send copper down range as advertised.

the lorcin.. Mine that I hand fit.. will fire normall ..though sometimes jams on the first round chambering.. does not like hollow point no lead relaods. if I rapid fire.. it WILL stove pipe. if I slow fire.. I can usually empty the mag with no issues.. NOW that I've had it apart and filed and ground on it, including hand polis the feed ramp area. i don't much like the rear catch either.. reminds me of a raven...
  9. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Member

I used to get Handgun Tests magazine. It's been a while, so I may have the title wrong. They tested a 9mm Lorcin with standard factory ammo, and major part (a piece of the frame, maybe) broke in less than 50 rounds.

Lorcin seems to have been the worst of these guns, worse than Bryco or Jennings. Also, zinc alloy seems to be fine for 22 & 25, adequate for 32 & 380, but not good enough for a blowback 9mm, at least not the way Lorcin did it. Just my $.02, as usual.
  10. soundguy

IMHO.. bryco was pretty junky too.. I had one.. .. a pair actually.. safety broke on one.. flimsy plastic. ( both 9mm ).. I sold both.. cheaply to people who knew what they were getting..

i've had a few jennings apart to repalce springs.

not overly impressed.. but then again.. i think maybee better than bryco.. and on the fence with lorcin.

after seeign the inside of my lorcin 380.. I think it is adequate for 380.. but I wouldn't like it in a 9...
  11. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Moderator

IIRC they were all the same company just changing names and ownerships. When the ATF or a number of lawsuits shut them down, they would close the doors and open back up under a new name. notice how the design never changes from brand to brand.
  12. DBMJR1

DBMJR1 New Member

Hey now. Raven Arms and F.I.A. are going to be upset if y'all don't give them a shout out.
  13. soundguy

raven arms? like the company that made the delayed return slide? :)
  14. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

I test fired a Lorcin and the zinc frame that surrounds the barrel cracked and the barrel came out of the frame.

No thanks.
  15. armoredman

armoredman New Member

I'm sorry, but I also had a bad experience with Lorcin, (Lori and Cindy, daughters of the evil person who inflicted this junk pile on us), and I paid $50 for it used. I sold it for $50 to my brother, because I was feeling particularly evil that day. It worked as well for him as it did me, and he sold it to someone he didn't like for about the same.
    Can you get your money back and buy a HiPoint, or is it too late?
  16. Rhuga

Rhuga New Member

This is supposed to have a Lifetime Warranty. I don't really know what that means since they changed the manufacturer names. Am I out of luck on the warranty? Or, is there another mfg that will honer the original warranty?

After thinking about this purchase, a High Point would have been a better buy.
  17. armoredman

armoredman New Member

If they changed the name, it most likely means the original manufacturer was again sued out of business, other family member bought up the equipment and re started production under the new name, or at least that's the explanation I've been given about those companies, Davis, Raven, Jennings, Bryco, etc. I would very much doubt any warranty will be honored, but you can call and ask.
  18. soundguy

heck.. try to get a warrant rep on an old bushnell.. :)
  19. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Rhuga, you might want to follow this link and read the article.

http://articles.latimes.com/1997/dec/27/news/mn-2618

Jennings designed guns are often well designed but cheaply and poorly made. The often have cycling problems, either when new or after a few hundred shots. Unless one is a competent "gun tuner" reliable operation is not to be expected. I will no longer transfer the ownership of any Jennings designed and Jennings related group made gun for potential lawsuit liability reasons.

The lawsuit judgement in the 2003 Brandon Maxfield case is variously estimated at between $25 million and $40 million. About $30 million seems most likely; BUT THE GUN SHOP THAT SOLD THE PISTOL GOT HIT WITH A $5 MILLION JUDGEMENT BY THE JURY!

In reality, what was really the matter with (defective about) the Bryco .380 pistol that had anything to do with a babysitter pointing it at the head of a child that she was babysitting, while she tried to unload it with her finger pulling on the trigger? NOTHING!!! However the "fallout" from this case has had far reaching effects in the entire firearms industry. One major US manufacturer had to go to the expense of putting a needless loaded chamber indicator and a magazine safety in one of its most popular and time tested products as a result of this verdict.

The best thing that you can likely do with your pistol is to sell or trade it to a dealer for what ever you can get out of it. I WOULD NOT SELL IT TO A CONSUMER.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012