LMT

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by KWM, Sep 30, 2012.

1. KWM

KWM Member

An individual in this area has a LMT M4 AR-15 for sale. Also states that it has C-15carbon upper and lower. Any information on maker or weapon pro or con would be appreciated.
  2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

LMT is a maker of highend AR-15's that are about as good as you can get. Carbon-15 stuff is cheap plastic crap. To say it has a Carbon-15 upper AND lower says it can't be a LMT product. My guess is that the seller meant "lower". If the price was right, I might buy a LMT upper, then throw away the Carbon-15 lower in favor of something much better.

Just my opinion, but it seems like almost a crime to put anything Carbon-15 on an LMT product.
  3. jbrescue

jbrescue New Member

Carbon 15 is a bushmaster product. This sounds like someone that does not know what they have. Looks carefully. The Carbon 15 is a good entry level place to start. You can always upgrade the upper and lower later if you need to. It is still a plastic/composite material though.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Or worse.. hes got a carbon 15 with a couple of LMT parts on it and is trying to sell it at a higher LMT price.
  5. KWM

KWM Member

The complete add reads:AR-15 M4 LMT, 1x9 barrel, quad rail, folding sights, C-15 upper and lower, very light 5.5 lbs, $690 or trade.

Just got off the phone with the owner. JLA is correct. LMT barrel. PCF everything else.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I betcha money its a Carbon 15 with an LMT quad rail on it. You got a link? Ill go check it out..
  7. KWM

KWM Member

No link. It was in the local paper. Doesnt sound like that good of a deal now. I appreciate the info from everyone.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yeah. 690 is a tad high for an entry AR. especially since Walmart is selling the DPMS Sporticals for less than 600. And DPMS makes a better AR than bushmaster did.

Course if it is an LMT then 690 is a great price. But i dont think it is..
  9. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

For around $600-700 you can get a brand new Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport or a Palmetto State Armory AR-15. Both are excellent and they don't use any plastic parts. The PSA is pretty much mil-spec. No way I'd touch that franken gun with all the Carbon-15 parts. The price is just silly high. I'm also questioning whether LMT ever made a 1:9 twist barrel. I think not since their guns are all mil-spec and 1:9 was never a mil-spec standard.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I too was wondering about that. Almost everything LMT chambers is 7 twist
  11. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

NO WAY!

LMT does NOT make a 1-9 barrel twist.

1 in 7 only.

I own a LMT.
    [​IMG]
  12. GunHugger

LMT doesn't make a rail that I know of. Unless you count the monolithic upper that they make with the rail and upper all one piece.

I'm thinking it might have a LMT rear sight on it, that would make the carbon15 worth something I guess.:D

Nope scratch that LMT doesn't make a folding rear sight, just fixed or carry handle with their name on it.

I have no idea what the heck this guy is trying to sell.

But if you find that it is a real LMT for that price JUMP. The least expensive LMT is over $1200 (suggested retail $1305) for a basic M4 clone with no extras.
    http://www.lmtstore.com/complete-weapon-systems-firearms-guns/complete-gas-weapons/defender-standard-patrol-model-16.html
  13. GunHugger

I want you to know SD...you may have harmed someones feelings when you said Carbon-15 stuff is "cheap plastic crap".

Funny thing though....I agree with every word in you post. :D

Just kidding about the feelings. :D

People seem to get upset when I say those things. :confused:;)
  14. KWM

KWM Member

For what it's worth, I appreciate all the input. It probably saved me from wasting money on a weapon that wasn't worth it. I will be the very first to admit that I know very little about AR's in general. My last military type issued weapons were the M1 Garand and the 1911 Colt so I'm pretty much and old fart. That being said, I just sold a model A pre ban IMI UZI semi auto and would like to replace it with a decent AR-15. Somewhere around $1000/$1400. any help would be appreciated.
  15. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

You aren't getting into a decent AR for less than $800 here in NY anyway. More like, be ready to spend $1,000 when all is said and done.
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

IMO you cannot go wrong with a DPMS. I have owned many brand sof ARs and they are mostly equals from a performance standpoint. DPMS just offers you more gun for less money. And thier QC is superb. Best AR I ever had was a DPMS lo pro carbine. came flat top with no sights. i dritched the glacier guards for a DPMS full length float tube and the picatinny gas block for a varmint gas block so the tube would go over it. And put a Burris PEPR and a fullfield 2 on top. It was a 1/2MOA carbine. and I didnt quite have a grand in it.

S&W, Sig, Colt and DPMS are all being sold at walmart now in my neck of the woods. Check with them.
  17. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Look at your local Walmart. They have Colt AR's for $1,097 these days. It's hard to beat that and you get the real deal. They also had Sig's for like $997 I think.
  18. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Yeah, being totally PC has never been one of my strong points. I call'em like I see'em! ;)

My wife has a Glock 19 because she likes the lightweight of the thing, but I'm an all metal gun guy. No plastic for me thanks! :cool:
  19. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

im same way. glocks might shoot well but they dont do well with handloads and they have alot in common with a spaghetti dish. I prefer CZ75s and 1911s.