LNL AP Powder Measure Question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by smlranger, Nov 26, 2011.

1. smlranger

smlranger New Member

I've reloaded about 200 rounds on my new LNL AP and I am having a problem with the bushing holding the powder measure in the press working loose. It seems to work loose after about 20-25 rounds. I am thinking it is from the motion and other forces on the measure as the linkages work.

Anyone else have this problem and, if so, any remedies?
  2. raysmithson1

raysmithson1 Member

oh yeah ,,, have the same problem ... I use those return mail things with your name on em ,,, you get em in the mail from all over or a scrap of paper put in the press hole then put the powder die in it will tighten up,, let's call it a shim,,, then go to youtube and watch a hornady vid by some guy and he has a piece of metal he made to hold the damn thing together,,,just about where the spring attaches , simple to do, you know how it twists,, it's their just look for it .. or wrap thread around bushing then slide the o ring up to the thread that will put some bind on it ,,, let's just call it the walken big red one
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  3. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

I read this was an issue so when I set up my LnL I drilled and tapped a 1/4" hole on the outside of the press where the tool head is, at the powder measure station, and use a thumb screw there to keep the powder measure from coming loose...
  4. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Get a crescent wrench and give a little torque, it will be just fine.
  5. smlranger

smlranger New Member

OK, I torqued the thing pretty good with a wrench. Lasted about 10 pulls before it was loose and ready to pop up out of the press. So I tried the other suggestion of sticking a piece of paper label on the bushing. It stayed in place for about 30 rounds I needed to finish up and still seems tight.

The only other issue I had today was with some Winchester large primers. I had used only Federal SP primers before today and everything worked great. The primer shuttle kept sticking and would not feed a primer every so often. I had cleaned the hardware with One Shot cleaner and dry lube so not sure what is going on. I have some Federal large primers and will try those next. Also noted that the WLP's were dang hard to seat.
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I'm with Caneman; drill n tap it and use a brass bolt to secure it.
  7. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

First thing I would consider is to start process of elimination on the powder measure, swap bushings, then change the pm to another station and test again. Is your pm operating smoothly? Sometimes the metering insert catches at the sides or bottom of the cutout and the rotor assembly is sticky when activated by a case, this gets to be a bit rough on the measure and will quickly shake it loose from the bushing. A touch of one shot will do the trick, unless there is a need to readjust the entire assembly, just make certain it functions like glass before moving on to the press or bushings.

Drilling your press? I cannot find a quicker way for Hornady to void the warranty!!! Dont do it! Right now if you have found a problem and it pertains to the machine tolerences of the main body of the press they will replace the entire thing at no charge.

Interesting you have problems with WLP's, I have the most luck with them. I would call Hornady and tell them about the problem. They will send a new large pistol primer shuttle and ram without a question.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  8. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

^^^ gettin ready to drill another hole on top of the tool head next to the bullet seater so I can install an LED light to look into the case before seating a bullet!!! drill, baby, drill... :)
  9. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

:crazy:
    UUHHHGGGG!:crazy::dontknow:
  10. smlranger

smlranger New Member

No plans to drill any holes unless last resort and only with Hornady's agreement. The small piece of mailing label I stuck on the bushing seems to be holding for now.

I did clean/lube the entire powder measure with One Shot dry lube but will check function again. It does not seem to herky-jerky and seems to operate smoothly.
  11. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

come on man, grow a pair and mod it! don't let the smurfs make you afraid :eek: ;) :D
  12. 1in9twist

1in9twist New Member

:yikes:

No hacky holes in your press. Look here.

www.inlinefabrication.com

:cool:
  13. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

your idea gave me my idea :) ... plus i like voiding warrantees and breaking things :ya:
  14. raysmithson1

raysmithson1 Member

smlranger,,,,, some times the primer tube lifts up and does not feed the primers ,they cock in primer tube,,, the black plastic on top,,, tape it to the primer holder and make sure the tube inside is down,,,and the tube is right side in the hole one end is beveled, one is machined
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011