LNL Auto powder drop?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by gun-nut, Jan 7, 2012.

1. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Ok this has not made me happy:mad: I am trying to use IMR 4198 in the LNL auto powder measure. The powder is getting stuck 1/2 in the stroke and smashing the top of the .223 case. I thought that this was not to happen with extruded powders in there powder measure. (I am useing the rifle drum) I set the measure just the way the video shows. Does anyone else have this problem? It does just fine with ball and flake powders. I swithed out the powder to H335 and no problems So i know i have it set right. I like my IMR 4198 in the .223. I think i will be calling Hornady Monday!!! This is the first time that i have used the extruded powder and the rifle drum in it.
  2. V509

V509 Member

I have seen a big benifit in my Hornady powder measure and drop from polishing the inside surfaces. The powder charges are more consistant and the drop movement is smoother
  3. DidI

DidI New Member

Polish! Makes lots of sense to me. Any special area's, or particular attention.
    I'm using Varget and it's all over the top of the bench, gets into the primer works....mess!
    Am currently set to load 22-250. Seems to be a bit better loading 38/357, but still have excessive powder dribbled here and there.
    Thanks!
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  4. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

well i give it a try
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Yes, this is not specific to the LNL powder measure though. The cutting action of the drum causes headaches but here's a hint: the metering insert and drum are nicely finished already. Dry lube the outside of the drum and PM body around the channel sorrounding the metering insert. If powder cutting is giving you resistance it doesnt hurt to lift on the metering insert while simultaneously raising the ram and charging.