Load data for .45 colt 255gr FP

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by midlifevette, Jan 10, 2011.

1. midlifevette

midlifevette New Member

I can't seem to find load data for a 255gr FP plated bullet for my .45 colt. There's plenty of 250gr and 260gr data but can't find 255gr. Is there a safe way to extrapolate between the two? I have Hodgdon Titegroup powder. Ken
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

Ken. I get in trouble from some other forum members every time I suggest going out side of the loading manuals so today is not going to be any different. Pick a load you like for either one, the 250 or the 260 and load it with you 255 and go enjoy it. All of the loading manuals of today are so conservative that you have plenty of margin. Another thing think for a moment what is the difference in percentage between 5 grains and 250 grains is just 2% which is not much.

Ron
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ill agree with dobber, I would err on the safe side and use the data for the 260 gr bullet. Make sure its lead data, the plated bullets work best with lead data in my experience...

(yes I am aware that berrys recommends low-mid range jacketed data with their bullets)
  4. midlifevette

midlifevette New Member

I found 255gr load data in the Lyman's manual but it's for "alloy" bullets. How much difference should there be between "alloy" and "plated" bullet charges? Ken
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

alloy is cast lead, that data will work perfectly... Plated bullets are merely swaged lead cores with a 'candy' shell on them... the plating is there to prevent leading
  6. midlifevette

midlifevette New Member

Thanks again. You guys are the greatest. SO much information. Ken