Load Data for Hard Cast Lead Vs Jacketed.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by renaissance7697, May 29, 2003.

1. renaissance7697

renaissance7697 New Member

I load lots of Hard Cast lead (Commercial - not home cast) for economy.
    Many times Load manuals will give load data for Jacketed bullets of a given weight but NOT Lead.

Where the IS corresponding data for similar weight and style bullets in Jacketed and HCL > it seems to me that the HCL Max and Min Load Data is ~ 3 % below that of the Jacketed.

I DO understand start low and build up, but >>

Is >> Jacketed data minus 3% a reasonable starting point when attempting to extrapolate Jacketed Data to into data for Hard Cast Lead ??
  2. Smoky14

Smoky14 Member

I don't think you are on the correct track. I just checked two loads with WW 231 and using your formula I came up with the possibility of being over loaded by .4gr. Considering that is the max spread for some bullet weights your formula doesn't work every time so i would not use it.
    What are you looking for specifically? I'm sure we can help with a little more info.

Smoky FNG
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I think you need to go get yourself a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook. All the cast loads you ever wanted plus loads of data on making your own. To get a review, go here

http://www.realguns.com/books/review37.htm

IMHO, the best $20 a cast bullet shooter could ever spend.