1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Load Data for Hard Cast Lead Vs Jacketed.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by renaissance7697, May 29, 2003.

1. renaissance7697

renaissance7697 New Member

I load lots of Hard Cast lead (Commercial - not home cast) for economy.
    Many times Load manuals will give load data for Jacketed bullets of a given weight but NOT Lead.

Where the IS corresponding data for similar weight and style bullets in Jacketed and HCL > it seems to me that the HCL Max and Min Load Data is ~ 3 % below that of the Jacketed.

I DO understand start low and build up, but >>

Is >> Jacketed data minus 3% a reasonable starting point when attempting to extrapolate Jacketed Data to into data for Hard Cast Lead ??
  2. Smoky14

Smoky14 Member

I don't think you are on the correct track. I just checked two loads with WW 231 and using your formula I came up with the possibility of being over loaded by .4gr. Considering that is the max spread for some bullet weights your formula doesn't work every time so i would not use it.
    What are you looking for specifically? I'm sure we can help with a little more info.

Smoky FNG
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I think you need to go get yourself a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook. All the cast loads you ever wanted plus loads of data on making your own. To get a review, go here

http://www.realguns.com/books/review37.htm

IMHO, the best $20 a cast bullet shooter could ever spend.