Load Development: Ladder Test

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by JLA, Oct 24, 2011.

1. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Very informative thread, thanks for doing all the bench work Josh ! I'll give this a try next time and see what I can add to it.
  2. Chinook

Chinook New Member

AW, dang! This is great info!
  3. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Unfortunately, there is not enough bullet left in the neck to crimp. This rifle is a new CZ 550 American. It will shoot other bullets seated deeper, but not the berger. Unfortunately, it won't shoot anything as good as it shoots the berger. Its favorite powder just happens to be supreme 780 filled half way up the case neck. There is so much of it, that you get hit by unburned flakes coming out the muzzle brake. But having said all that, it is a tack driver with that dysfunctional load. I have also observed the same thing you mentioned in military surplus rifles. My theory is that the riflings are set way back to handle the round nose ammo the european nations fed them.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

thats what Ive read too. In fact if I didnt have such a soft spot for milsurp weaponry I wouldnt even bother with them.. ;)
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thanks worm! Only problem I have now is my wheels are turning and I dont have anything else to ladder test. I need to go ahead and order my .243 barrel for my rem 700 and get that thing finished so ill have something else develop a load for. :)
  6. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks Josh for all the work you put into this post. It took a lot of head scratching on my part but the light finally came on and I now not only understand the how but as well the what of doing a load development. It also explains what Rem's BOSS is doing. :thumbsup:
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Exactly Todd. You got it. :)
  8. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

JLA, maybe I overlooked the answer somewhere in the thread, but, what is the purpose of adjusting your POI 2 " off center before you started? I'm sure there is a purpose, I just don't know what it is,
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

So I didnt destroy the aimpoint. It wasnt really necessary for this test. buuut...

Its just something i have always done when shoting groups. And when i set up for a ladder test its just old habit.

Having your rifle set up to hit center will very quickly mess your aiming point up when your rifle is 1/2 MOA capable.
  10. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Well, I will have to admit that you are smarter than the average bear Josh, (as my Dad (and Yogi bear) used to say),

When I try to shoot 50 yrd. groups with my heavy bbl .22/micro dot 6X scope, I take a 20ga shotgun shell, trace a circle around the brass with a sharpie, and then fill in the circle, and (DUH) the problem I have when trying to shoot 5 shot groups IS........destroying the aimpoint I am trying to focus on,

Learn something here everyday, I can't wait to be able to get back to the range to finish my load developement, although I believe that the starting load I have began with IS going to be my accurracy load, I want to finish up the process, just to see, the starting load in my Lyman book(for this bullet weight) also happens to be the recomended accurracy load, so far its working out that way, and I am using the same brass, primer, powder, bullet brand/weight/style, and same rifle used for the Lyman load data/testing, so no reason it should not work out just the way that it is,

Don't know when I am going to be able to return to the range yet, some things at home require my full attention for awhile, I'll get'r done, just not sure when,

I wish I still lived in San Antonio, I would be within driving distance, kind of, would like to spend a weekend shooting with you,
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Id love to have ya over. Next you find yourself down my way. look me up.
  12. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Josh,

You purposely sighted the scope to shoot 2 inches to the right? Having never done a ladder test and at the risk of sounding sturpit, why?

Bill
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It wasnt necessary for this test, but out of habit, anytime I set up for precise target work, usually group shooting, I will purposely adjust my scope to hit right of the POA so i dont destroy my aiming point. Precise groups rely solely on a precise aim, and you cant hold the crosshairs in exactly the same spot from shot to shot if you shoot a ragged hole in your aiming point on the target. Its all my way of eliminating the guesswork.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I would like everyone here at TFF to feel free to post the results of ladder tests they've performed here in this thread. I ordered the rest of the parts to finish building my Remage .243, but they wont be in for a good 8 weeks. so no ladder test until after Xmas from that, I do still have to true the action and lap the lugs in the meantime plus a few other things when the parts come in. Id like to keep this thread current with fresh data and comments/questions, and if any of you guys come up with any ideas for improvement or whatnot, feel free to post em up..
  15. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I was thinking that was the reason but I know I can get myself into some serious trouble by thinking. I can see why the off POA wouldn't be needed on this type of target design. Thank you.