Load Development: Ladder Test

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by JLA, Oct 24, 2011.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks Josh for all the work you put into this post. It took a lot of head scratching on my part but the light finally came on and I now not only understand the how but as well the what of doing a load development. It also explains what Rem's BOSS is doing. :thumbsup:
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Exactly Todd. You got it. :)
  3. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

JLA, maybe I overlooked the answer somewhere in the thread, but, what is the purpose of adjusting your POI 2 " off center before you started? I'm sure there is a purpose, I just don't know what it is,
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

So I didnt destroy the aimpoint. It wasnt really necessary for this test. buuut...

Its just something i have always done when shoting groups. And when i set up for a ladder test its just old habit.

Having your rifle set up to hit center will very quickly mess your aiming point up when your rifle is 1/2 MOA capable.
  5. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Well, I will have to admit that you are smarter than the average bear Josh, (as my Dad (and Yogi bear) used to say),

When I try to shoot 50 yrd. groups with my heavy bbl .22/micro dot 6X scope, I take a 20ga shotgun shell, trace a circle around the brass with a sharpie, and then fill in the circle, and (DUH) the problem I have when trying to shoot 5 shot groups IS........destroying the aimpoint I am trying to focus on,

Learn something here everyday, I can't wait to be able to get back to the range to finish my load developement, although I believe that the starting load I have began with IS going to be my accurracy load, I want to finish up the process, just to see, the starting load in my Lyman book(for this bullet weight) also happens to be the recomended accurracy load, so far its working out that way, and I am using the same brass, primer, powder, bullet brand/weight/style, and same rifle used for the Lyman load data/testing, so no reason it should not work out just the way that it is,

Don't know when I am going to be able to return to the range yet, some things at home require my full attention for awhile, I'll get'r done, just not sure when,

I wish I still lived in San Antonio, I would be within driving distance, kind of, would like to spend a weekend shooting with you,
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Id love to have ya over. Next you find yourself down my way. look me up.
  7. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Josh,

You purposely sighted the scope to shoot 2 inches to the right? Having never done a ladder test and at the risk of sounding sturpit, why?

Bill
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It wasnt necessary for this test, but out of habit, anytime I set up for precise target work, usually group shooting, I will purposely adjust my scope to hit right of the POA so i dont destroy my aiming point. Precise groups rely solely on a precise aim, and you cant hold the crosshairs in exactly the same spot from shot to shot if you shoot a ragged hole in your aiming point on the target. Its all my way of eliminating the guesswork.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I would like everyone here at TFF to feel free to post the results of ladder tests they've performed here in this thread. I ordered the rest of the parts to finish building my Remage .243, but they wont be in for a good 8 weeks. so no ladder test until after Xmas from that, I do still have to true the action and lap the lugs in the meantime plus a few other things when the parts come in. Id like to keep this thread current with fresh data and comments/questions, and if any of you guys come up with any ideas for improvement or whatnot, feel free to post em up..
  10. howlnmad

I was thinking that was the reason but I know I can get myself into some serious trouble by thinking. I can see why the off POA wouldn't be needed on this type of target design. Thank you.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

exactly. The next ladder test development I do will be for my remage im working on and ill leave it hitting dead center and probably use this same posterboard for the test. afterall itll be 6mm holes aside the .30 cal holes and i wont be set to hit 2 right of POA
  12. howlnmad

Josh,

What size bullseyes did you use to make up that target?
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Just prepared another ladder test for my .308. This time lookin for the sweet spot with 168 Hornady AMAX over 2000MR. I took pictures of how I set my ladder tests up to easily keep track of whats in which case. The ones on the far left just off pic are foulers, and the caseheads are primed brass ready to load with the sweet load. Thot this might help with keeping track for those of you guys that have never done a ladder test. The sheet of paper is the number of the round and its corresponding charge. Again, I shoot them from lightest to heavy, FX5 then 1-20.

Attached Files:

15. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Here is the last Audette Ladder Test I preformed, I was using a US Model of 1917, Eddystone.
    I loaded-up 10 cartridges, I wanted to get the proper vertical POI for 300 yards, (since my sight graduations on this old rifle are fixed.) I of course wanted an accurate load too.

Since I have iron sights I wanted to have the smallest target for a precise POA. I can see a 2moa sized target well at any distance I've tried so far, so I used a 6" white piece of card board on top of a brown piece.

Here is a pic of the ladder test.
    [​IMG]

The IMR 4064 still had a lot of OOMPH to go, but I stopped at 6 shots since I knew I had the proper POI and my accuracy node was found... I pulled, then loaded-up 3 cartridges with the load specified to test the next day.

Here is a short video of the ladder test, test.
    Impossible 30-06 Group

That is the best group I've ever shot with any firearm, scoped or not... Unfortunately, the POI gets higher as opposed to my POA as the distance increases; so that load isn't very useful passed 300 yards.

Here is a short video of a 400 yard vertical POI test.
    Not Wasting Anymore Bullets

I do have another 10 shot ladder test loaded to try at 400 yards using Speer 180gr SP bullets. They have a lesser ballistic coefficient and a bit heavier; since I want the load to be a bit slower, and still have some energy.

I'd like to add... all those bullets were pulled twice, and the last 3 were pulled 3 times. All the tips were damaged, and it didn't seem to effect accuracy.
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Good to have you back rifleman. Where you been?

And good shootn as always!
  17. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

This is a ladder I worked up over the Christmas holidays. Shooting was at 100 yards.

Attached Files:

18. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I get tired of arguing and it soured me since it seemed like I couldn't get away from it. But I realize it is prevalent everywhere, so I'm back.

Thank you!
  19. howlnmad

Anyone have an opinion on doing a test at 100 yards with a 30/30? I've lost my 200+ range.
  20. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Even if all you had was a 50yrd range, you can still get vital info and useable results. 100yrds for a 30/30 is quite alright.