Load for .454 Casull

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by The_Vigilante, Jun 19, 2008.

1. The_Vigilante

The_Vigilante New Member

I am looking for a load for my Ruger SRH .454 Casull that won't twist my wrist off. I know I can shoot .45LC's in it with no problem. I recently used 25.7g of 2400 and got the recoil similar to my Ruger RH .44 Magnum. Is there any way to get it less than that? Thanks
  2. Haligan

Haligan Active Member

Ya know, I've been reloading for a while now, mabe 15 years. Shotgun slugs, Rifle from 223 up to 300 Rem Ultra mag, pistol from 9mm all the way to 454 Casull.
    No reload every gave me more problems more than 454 Cas.

It took me a while to figure out because I was getting squip loads. Big variables on the chronograph, accuracy problems, bullets stuck in the barrel, you name it, I had it. All with my Ruger SRH.

But no problems with factory, but damn, 40 pounds felt recoil per square inch. OUCH after a while.(44 mag is 10 pounds felt recoild per square inch, by the way)

Anyway, it hit me after a while and I can't even say it was all my fault because I had a couple reloading manuals that said loads were safe. But like I said alot of problems. It turns out most if not all the loads I was having a problem with were insufficient powder charge, leading to incomplete ignition. Some guy explained it to me like this. It's such a big cartrige that if their's to much space not taken up by powder it doesn't build the pressure fast enough(micro-seconds) to ignite cleanly and completely.

OK, long story short,(oh sorry too late.)The 454 Cas. is a bear and you can't tame a bear. If you come up with something kinder and gentler then factory let me know.

My loads now are 300 gr. Sierra JHP with 31.2 Win 296 (OUCH)
    300 gr. Sierra JHP with 17. Blue Dot (Ouch, alittle dirty)

I very rarely mess around with lighter Bullet weights with this caliber. Just don't want anymore problems. But these 2 work pretty good for me.

DISCLAIMER:Author assumes no responsibility for anything from now untill the end of time on anything contained here in or out. Check reloading manuals, NRA rules and regulations, local and federal laws, boyscout manual, check with your wife, ask your dad, and always be safe.

No joke on the be safe part, hope this info helps ya.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

just get some .45LC brass and reload standard .45LC loads and enjoy the plinkin, leave the grizzly .454s for when u need an effective charge stopper... Haligan is right, there isnt much you can do to tame the cartridge. you can safely load it down to around .44mag performance but that is still a wrist twister to most people. if you lived a tad closer id loan you my BFR .450 marlin. just 5 rounds with that and you would appreciate how little the .454 does actually recoil:D