Load for black powder rifle

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by redfred, Jul 18, 2010.

1. redfred

redfred New Member

I posted this in the "ask the pros" section, but I figured I might get an answer here:
    I have acquired a Mowrey 50 caliber ML rifle, and I was wondering if anyone can give me some idea as to what loads to use. I have been shooting a .50 cal patched ball with 60-70 grains of Pyrodex, but I would like to try the Minie Balls for deer hunting.
    Thanks!
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

The best way to find a load for a particular projectile is SAFE experimentation. Start with a load found in the manual which came with the rifle, in one of the powder manuals, in the Lyman BlackPowder Handbook or such like. Then start adding a bit from there in 5 or 10 grain VOLUME measurements and find the load which shoots most accurately.

I highly recommend getting a copy of the Lyman manual. It is about the most thorough and interesting book on blackpowder weapons. You can find used ones cheaper than here, but this is the source:

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/publications/black-powder.php

Pops
  3. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

I wasn't aware anyone made a hollow base Minie mould for a .50 caliber...plenty of conicals though. I've a .50 here at the house that likes the Lee REAL bullet with 80 grs. of 2f Swiss for deer. But like was said...you'll have to experiment.
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

5. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

Learn something new everyday Armedandsafe...that improved Minie oughta be the ticket for a .50 caliber. Don't shoot my .50 anymore but that improved Minie mould might tempt me to break it out.
  6. grcsat

grcsat Member

Hi, I used to sell Mowrey rifles. Can you please send a pic so I can help you out.
    The reason for the pic is to determin wich model you have. Mowrey had two typs of barrels. one was mainly for ball and patch (of course you can use minie also) And the other was a gain twist barrel which was designed for a sabot and bullet.
    The rifle with the gain twist barrel is incredably acurate. I have personaly shot a clover leaf shot at 75 yards when the powder charge/bullet/sbot are finely tuned for the rifle.
    The Mowrey gain twist barrels are were commonly used on custom BP target rifles.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i agree on the accuracy of the Gain barrel i've bought 3 over the years as hunting barrels ( looking for a fourth if anyone has one)

on the 50 i use 80 gr of FFg, GOEX, 0.020" patches for the plain barrel

and 90 grains on the Gain with a slug ( maybe you'd call them bullets )

i make my own powder but its equal in testing to the FFg GOEX
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  8. grcsat

grcsat Member

Forgot to mention, my fav load was about the same as yours 80-90 gr with the gain twist barrel ( 54 cal) -sabot with 185gr hollow point copper jacket 45 cal slug/bullet.
  9. armouredtrooper

armouredtrooper New Member

I'm looking for a starting load for my smoke pole as well. My projectile is a REAL Lee and weighs at 338 gns. I'm going to try 80 gns of triple 7 ffg and see where I can go from that point. I'll let you know how she goes. I'm zeroing for 100 meters