load for hawkin rifle

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Natchez63, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Natchez63

Natchez63 New Member

I have a nice Hawkin rifle. I have been wondering if I can load a few grain of grandular powder under a couple of pellets and get a good powder burn. The rifle is about fifteen years old and has not been fired over twenty times. Its from Cabelas and made by Investarms in Italy.
  2. cakes

cakes New Member

That doesn't sound very safe. To get better ignition with pellets, try a hotter cap.

Pellets are better left to in-lines. For the best results with your side lock, use granular powder (2f, 3f, or substitutes).
  3. 5string

5string New Member

sounds like a recipe for hang fires. Personally when i shot side locks i would use triple f or equivelent substitues. I used pistol pyrodex(70gr) in my 50 cal.used a 240 gr hornady 44cal in a sabot. shot threw every deer i squeezed the trigger on.
  4. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Stick with the FFF, and a hot cap. Works every time and get a good full burn. You will be able to tell the diffrence after a good cleaning too.
  5. Natchez63

Natchez63 New Member

Thanks for the advice. I won't try the pellets. I have been shooting 70 grains of pyrodex RS and .50 cal 240 grain xtp by T/C. At 80 yards I get 3 shot groups of 1 1/2". Of course the only one that counts is the first one. Our gun season Nov 21 and runs until Jan 31. There will plenty of opertunities to fill the freezer. Good hunting to all.