Loadbooks USA

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Lost One, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Lost One

Lost One New Member

I have purchased some books for learning reloading:

Lyman 49th edition
    Hodgdon 26th edition
    Speer 13th edition
    Hornady 4th edition

I know the Lyman is the only one that is the latest out and I have been able to go to the others sites in order to get the latest .pdf updates on data. I was planning on using all of these manuals not only for data but for learning reloading technique as well and figure there probably isnt that much difference between the newest and the previous books and save myself some $$$.

I was also considering the Loadbooks USA books as well for caliber specific data that I will be reloading. I did a search and found a few posts on here but one was specific to the manuals and it seemed no one really cared for them and some saying their data was old and did not cover a lot of new info.

I would like to get a few more opinions if I could from people who use them.

I was considering getting them for:
    45 acp
    38 Special
    357 Magnum
    9x19
    and

Like everyone else money is tight and I dont want to waste my money on something that will give me nothing in return.

.45 acp 230 grn. FMJ RN

38 and 357 158grn SJSP.

9x19 115 grn FMJ RN

.308 is where I dont find much data on 147 grn. FMJ mil. surplus bullets.

All of these are the economy loads if you look at them and they are for plinking and not for SD or target. I know the manuals that I purchased would give me several load data's for them but wondered if the Loadbook USA books would give a lot more or if it would be a waste of money.

Sorry for the long post and Thanks.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  2. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

You should also read "Lee's Modern Reloading". I found it to be very helpfull and is chocked full of good information.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Your investment into the four manuals listed will cover 99.99% of anything you're going to encounter for the intended loads and purposes that you've stated. I have a couple of OneCaliber Loadbooks and I do find them to be a good cross reference. I think they were well worth the price, I paid $4 ea at the time. In your case, I wouldn't worry too much about picking them up, you've got your bases very well covered. By the time you get to reloading, you'll find that you're most likely going to develop a data record of your loads. You could call it the LostOneCaliber Load Recordbook :D
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I'll second wolleys comments. With those 4 manuals, you'll have a good variety to cross reference with.

I've got a few of the Loadbooks, but as others have said...the data can get kinda old. they don't seem to keep up to date when the manufacturers release a new manual. My .25-06 Loadbook (bought about 3 years ago) still has the data from the Hornady 3rd edition manual, which is late-80s printing.

I'd also keep a look out for a newer Hornady manual whenever your favorite shopping outfit has em on sale.
    The 4th Edition is circa 1991 and even thought it's still on my bench because I've got oodles of notes penciled into it I always cross reference to the current 7th Ed manual. I would say that 80% of the data is unchanged but there are a few cartridge/bullet/powder combos that have either been dropped, added, or changed.

The Speer manual is fine, 14th Edition is their current one.

Another good cross-reference source is Hodgdon's online data center...lots of data for Hodgdon, Winchester, IMR powders.
    http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
  5. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

I too agree with wolleyworms assessment in that the small books are good for cross reference. In addition to the books you mentioned I have the Lee one just because I have a Lee Turret and I like the Sierra book because I use a lot of Sierra bullets.