loaded chamber indicator for savage 1907 and 1915?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by philwarner, Nov 30, 2012.

1. philwarner

philwarner New Member

Does anyone make a replacement "loaded chamber indicator" for the later Savage 1907 and the Savage 1915 model pistols? This is the little spring steel piece that clips onto the barrel sort of like a clip on a fountain pen and is pushed out a bit when a bullet is the barrel.

My model 1915 has the remains of the indicator but the indicator end is broken off 1/2" from the clip end. I tried calling the current Savage Arms customer service but they must be busy folks and I haven't yet gotten a live person on the phone.

I have several old military holsters for this or the 1907 model (yes, eBay purchases) that may have been for French 1907s but my 1915 is a passed down in the family civilian pistol.
  2. steve99f

steve99f New Member

phil,

There are a few Savage pistol collectors that check in from time to time on the Savage Collectors board on 24hr campfire. You should post this question there. I'm not a pistol collector so I have no idea about the part.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Get a tin can...

Seriously, you might try www.gunpartscorp.com and see if they have one. They were often broken by folks trying to take them off, so if you get one, be careful installing it.

Jim
  4. philwarner

philwarner New Member

Thanks, Jim. I checked their schematic parts list for the 1907, but it must be the early model and doesn't show the indicator or the groove in the barrel where it fits. I just sent them an inquiry via email, so we'll see what they say.

BTW, I am not sure if my 1915's indicator was already broken when I inherited the Savage from my father or if it might have been broken while shooting a huge rattlesnake when in the excitement I failed to realize the second bullet (or was it the third?) had lodged in the barrel and the blow back from the next one blew the left grip off in my hand.

It's a testament to Savage quality that the incident did not even bulge the barrel, but I should replace the super-glued-together grip as well as the indicator if I find one.
  5. philwarner

philwarner New Member

Thanks for the tip, Steve, I posted the question there just now.
  6. steve99f

steve99f New Member

The men that have responded to your inquiry as of this morning aren't the pistol collectors. Give it time. A couple of the biggest collectors of these pistols visit that board. They may have spares or know of a source. If not, consider whether it makes sense to fabricate the part or have it fabricated.
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

8. philwarner

philwarner New Member

Called Savage Customer Service who referred me to Numrich who referred me to their forum with the young lady saying if it is not shown on their 1907 schematic they won't have it (actually it is not on the 1907, 1910, or 1917 - I didn't know there was a 1910 model) so I posted an inquiry there.

Found an external photo of a chamber indicator

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/philwarner42/Savage1907chamberindicator.jpg

and scanned the parts list in my "It Banishes Fear" booklet that was with the 1915 but shows a 1907.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/philwarner42/Savage1907parts2.jpg

Now if I just knew what the underside of the free end looked like I might be able to find someone to reproduce one using my clip end as a model.
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

There was no Model 1910; she was probably thinking of the Model 1915.

I was going to take a picture of mine, but I think the patent drawing is a lot clearer and shows the way it's made better than a picture would do. FWIW, mine is exactly the same, so there was no change to the production version.

Incidentally, the ends of the circular part are rounded to make installation easier, but that doesn't show well in the patent drawing.

The material is spring steel, .015" thick.

Jim

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  10. philwarner

philwarner New Member

Thanks, Jim,

That drawing is just what I needed to see the little ramp on the free end; mine is broken about mid way between it and the clip end and is indeed .015" thick.

I am guessing that is was broken when I received the gun from my Dad and I just didn't notice it; It doesn't seem likely that the bullet jam in the barrel and subsequent firing that blew the left grip off would have broken the indicator in the middle. (Did I mention I was shooting at a six foot rattlesnake coiled and striking when I failed to notice the bullet did not exit the barrel?)

The Numrich site has separate schematics labeled 1907, 1910, and 1917 for looking up part numbers, a non-schematic listing for a 1908 and none for 1915. The 1910 schematic here, , appears to be the same as the 1907 and none of them list the chamber indicator.

Guess I'll be checking out pens with pocket clips to see if I can modify one to fit or perhaps try to add a ramp end to the half of indicator I have.
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Posting from "Gun Expert" web site, August 4, 2053:

"Dear Gun Expert, I recently acquired a Savage 1907 pistol with an odd loaded chamber indicator. I expected to see something like 'Loaded' written on it, but there is writing I don't understand, and maybe it is in a foreign language. What does "Papermate" mean?

Confused Savage owner"

[Jim]
  12. philwarner

philwarner New Member

Good one, Jim, my chuckle for the day. Perhaps I could find an old Montblanc pen clip and they might think it was a French Military officer's sidearm.
  13. philwarner

philwarner New Member

Re: Savage 1915 jam caused by WWB ammunition?

While searching for info on a SW9VE I found a posting on dud rounds of Winchester 9mm ammunition in a white box from Walmart that stuck in the barrel and a response to that post that said "I have had the same problem from the same box of winchester ammo from walmart. I had 3 shells out of a box of 50 get stuck half way down the barrel. "

I searched the archives here and see others have posted problems with this brand and retailer, while some responses say it is just an urban legend.

Well guess what? My savage 1915 was loaded with Winchester 32 AUTO 71 GR. FMJ rounds from a 50 count white box purchased 9/30/04 from Walmart, which I bought because I thought Winchester was a reliable brand and a made in the USA product I could trust. Was I wrong?

Now I am wondering what to do with the 42 rounds left in this box. Weigh each one? Write to Winchester and ask for new grips and chamber indicator? Throw them away? Or "bite the bullet" and try them carefully one shot at a time? I certainly don't want another load stuck in the barrel.
  14. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I would certainly write to Winchester and request some kind of compensation. A bullet stuck in the barrel means to me that there was no powder in the case, and that the primer had enough force to drive the bullet a couple of inches.

I don't know what they will do about it, or how you can force them to do anything (you can buy one of those pistols for a couple of hours of a lawyer's time), but at least let them know even if the incident is old and (hopefully) the problem has been corrected. I can't see the retailer being to blame.

I would toss the ammo or pull the bullets and check each round for powder.

Jim