Loaded guns in car legal

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by leo66, Dec 6, 2012.

1. leo66

leo66 New Member

By Tim Hrenchir
    THE CAPITAL-JOURNAL

Topeka’s governing body on Tuesday evening legalized the transport of loaded handguns in vehicles.

Police Chief Ron Miller said the move was part of a trade-off in which the governing body will be asked soon to make it illegal to possess a firearm while committing any of more than a dozen specific misdemeanors.

The governing body, which consists of the nine council members and Mayor Bill Bunten, voted 10-0 to approve an ordinance adopting a revised version of the 2012 Uniform Public Offense Code, a codification of Kansas statutes developed by the League of Kansas Municipalities.

The city has been operating under the 2011 UPOC, which includes a ban on the transport of loaded handguns in occupied vehicles, but that ban isn’t part of the 2012 UPOC.

Miller told the governing body transporting loaded handguns in occupied vehicles is legal in probably 90 percent of Kansas, including unincorporated parts of Shawnee County, but not in some large population centers.

He said he partnered with local Second Amendment advocates to try to find a workable arrangement targeted at allowing good people to carry loaded guns in their vehicles but banning gun possession by those who commit crimes.

Miller said the governing body would consequently be asked soon to consider a proposal to make it illegal to possess a firearm while committing more than a dozen specific misdemeanors. Those include assault, battery, stalking and theft.
  2. btown

btown Member

Open carry. Check out open carry.org. Lots of info.
  3. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

sounds like a good deal to me.

around here it is pretty open. during waterfowl season I spend the weekend driving with a loaded shotgun between me and the console. and it's perfectly legal
  4. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave Member

Legal down here, as the car is considered an extension of the home. But again, you use a gun to commit a crime, the hammer comes down. It's not the gun, it's the crime.
  5. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 Active Member

I never worried bout carryin a loaded gun. All guns are loaded till they are shot. Then they are loaded again so I don't have to ask myself "did I load that when I was done?"
  6. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Member

7. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

no worries, the action is open and the way I store it it can not close.
  8. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you automatically get an extra 5 years tacked on to your sentance if you have possesion of a gun during a crime in Texas. You don't even have to use it during the crime. It just has to have been readily accessible when you were committing the crime and the extra 5 years is tacked on. (example: Dope dealer gets busted selling drugs, and they find a pistol in his trunk.)
  9. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

does that law apply if BG breaks into a home and there are guns inside?
  10. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave Member

Any excuse to add more time. Possession of a firearm in the commission of a crime adds time. Usually gets reduced down in the sentencing part unless we're talking armed assualt, etc.

Thing is, some super-litigeous prosecutors will go after you for illegal firearm possession if they find the remains of a joint in the ash tray instead of writing a ticket for possession (and yes, it is legal for the police in Texas to do that rather than arresting you. However, they like the arrest statistics to support more money for the department and the ability to seize assets - I used to work as an investigator for a large city in Texas)
  11. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

In the state of Illinois you can not have a loaded gun in your car. It must be in a case. unloaded.
  12. racerham

racerham Active Member

In Oregon, it's legal without a CHL under most circumstances as long as:
    It's unconcealed, or
    It's concealed and not readily accessable.

However, in Portland, your car is defined as a "Public Place", and it is illegal to "knowingly possess or carry a firearm, in or upon a public place" ... "recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition", so, don't try that in Portland.

The rest of the state's OK...
  13. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

In Wisconsin, it's legal if you have a CCL. It just has to be out of view.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  14. PMK

PMK Former Guest

My name is Matt. I'm in Evansville, IN. I'm most commonly known as "The Parking Lot Law guy from Indiana." I believe all law abiding, permit carrying citizens should have the right to carry a loaded weapon in their vehicles for self defense. Since the law was passed here in 2010 I have noticed a more relaxed atmosphere in the workplace among supporters of the Second Amendment. There is no more walking on pins and needles like before, and I even see a copy of Shotgun News on coworkers' desks once in awhile. Firearms and hunting are an everyday topic now. It is a wonderful feeling to not have to hide what you believe in and to be able to follow the law and the Constitution without fear of punishment by controlling employers. The crime is in the employers ability to take our Constitutional rights away from us. How do they get by with usurping the Constitution?? Well, they do. And it is our job to speak with our elected officials to make sure laws are put into place to stop this injustice. We have a great responsibility to uphold our Constitution. It is our Right and our Duty! Thank You, to all of you out there who are fighting the fight I once had to. It may not be easy, but it is worth it. You make your Country proud!
  15. fyrfghter1983

fyrfghter1983 New Member

In OH if you have a ccw you can have a loaded pistol strapped to your hip. You just have to tell the officer you have it when you get pulled over.