Loading .223 with Hornady Lock n Load progressive press

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by smlake, Feb 23, 2010.

1. smlake

smlake New Member

I purchased a new Hornady Lock n Load AP progressive press about 6 weeks and have loaded quite a few .38 special, 9mm, .357 mag, and .40 cal S&W pistol cartridgeswith this loader. This is a really fast loader, once you get the knack of it. My question is to query the readers of The Firearms Forum to find out if anyone has used this progressive loader to load the .223 rifle cartridge or other rifle cartidges. The reason is because the rifle cartridges need lubricant in the full length resizing station and I do not know how the cases will work at the remaining stations such as priming, powder drop, and bullet insertion stations with the sizing lube still on the cases. Some of the videos on Youtube indicate it is best to do the case lubrication, resizing, and priming work on a single stage loader and then do the powder, bullet insertion stages on the progressive loader. I called Hornady and the tech I spoke with told me he performed every stage of reloading rifle cases such as the .223 on the Hornady Lock n Load. Just would like to "pick your brains" for advice on this subject. I thank you in advance for your input.
  2. gary0529

gary0529 Member

Have reloaded a couple of thousand 223's on my LnL- I either use Hornady One Shot lube spray by tossing the cleaned cases on a cookie sheet and spraying them and then let them dry before I toss them into the case feeder or if you don't want to use a spray-on, I have used Imperial lube and just hand fed them into the shellplate(before I acquired the feeder)
    Both work well-just be cognizant of crimped primers if you are using range brass or milsurp-be sure to swage or remove the crimp before you start, otherwise you will end up hating life as the crimped cases will gob up the process when you try to re-prime.

Gary
  3. smlake

smlake New Member

Gary, I appreciate your answer to my question. I have already experienced the primer pocket problem with military pistol brass with the LnL. I have not tried the spray lub yet but have ordered some from Midway. The loader is really slick with pistol ammo using commercial brass and acarbide resizer die. Also, changing calibers is really easy and fast and is much less expensive than the excellent Dillon loaders. Again, thanks.