Loading .45 Colt

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by upsguy, Feb 9, 2011.

1. upsguy

upsguy New Member

From what I've been reading, (maybe I'm confused) do you need to lube cast bullets when reloading these?:confused:

Also, where is the best place to buy these online?
  2. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

Did you buy cast bullets? I would assume if you did they will be lubed already. Look at the lube grooves around the bullets they should be filled with lube. The bullets should be sized and lubed before you load them. They will be sized at about .452 for your .45 they can run .454. You will need a bullet sizer and lube die to finish the bullets if not lubed and sized. You can get Lee Alox and shake lube the bullets if the cast size is correct. When you seat the bullets in the case and the bullets start to buldge the case they are too oversized and most likely will stick in chamber. Check out Midway Supply.

RC
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

RC pretty well covered it. There are many different types of lubes out there, some are good for general purpose use, others for specific hardness of lead / velocities / residual properties. You can make your own if you cast and size your own boolits or buy pre-lubed cast.
  4. upsguy

upsguy New Member

No, I didn't buy anything yet. Im not sure what to buy, I just want to plink at the range. Is it true that long Colt needs to be .452 and .45ACP (jacketed) .451?
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I size all my 45s, Colt and ACP, .452. Never had a problem with close to a dozen 45 ACPs.
  7. The_Vigilante

The_Vigilante New Member

While we are on the subject is it ok to use .45 ACP JHP bullets for reloading in .45 Colt?
  8. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

I've done it for decades.
  9. woolleyworm

It can and has been done, but typically, you'll find that jacketed bullets for acp run at .451 and for colt at .452. Best way to find out is to slug your bore and check your chamber throat ID. The 45acp bullets will work ok, just might not be as accurate.
  10. army mp

army mp Member

11. upsguy

upsguy New Member

12. woolleyworm

Blue is the lube and it does keep the fouling down. Lube also helps to seal the bore, ever wonder why the lube rings are near the base of the bullet and not the top, lube is a pretty complex component, even if you use a simple beeswax or alox lube.
  13. upsguy

upsguy New Member

I always thought leading was part of the deal when shooting them. I never shot anything but factory Remington lead 255gr sw since Ive had my Colt Anaconda. Ive had plenty of this stuff, (thanks Dad) and I cant wait to see if the leading will decrease or not.
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Factory lead bullets are swaged. That means the solid metal is forced into shape under pressure. They use pure lead, so it is very soft. Cast bullets are just that. Cast, and they have tin or antimony or silver or a couple of other things alloyed with the lead, that makes it harder. Factory lead ammo will almost always lead the bore.
  15. upsguy

upsguy New Member

Well, that explaines why the dang bore was always leaded up. I think I still have somewhere around 900 more factory Remington rounds left...

Is there any lead cleaning products out there that anyone can suggest that really work good?