Loading 7.62x39

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by The Joker, Dec 5, 2012.

1. The Joker

The Joker Member

I know you can get the cheap steal stuff for about 5 or 6 bucks for 20. Is loading going to cost that much more?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Yes, it will cost a little more. Of course it all depends on your component choice and cost. You should be in the $8 range for 20 reloads. Performance is the only reason to reload this caliber.
  3. streetbob

streetbob Member

Well I really debated reloading 7.62's for my AK, from what I have found the once fired brass is running $0.40 +- each so that is $40.00 for 100 cases. Primers are $4.00 for 100 if you buy them that way, so it's up to $44.00. Jacketed bullets are $23.00 per 100, so now it's at $67.00. According to Hodgdon's website it's about 25gr of powder per bullet, at $30.00 lb that's $10.70 in powder, so the grand total for reloading your first 100 is $77.70 and if you are shooting from a AK you will probably loose 50% of your brass, so the next hundred will be $57.80. That is almost $0.58 a round and steel cased is about $0.23 a round.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

dont bother if you load it for an AK or SKS.. they sling brass like a blind man feeds ducks.. And most of them beat the brass all to hell. IF you have a sweet 7.62X39 bolt gun, then by all means reload it. It is a superbly accurate round form a solid bolt action and perfect for deer hunting as it has just the right amount of power for deer sized game out to 200 yds.
  5. The Joker

The Joker Member

I see, well I can get 7.62x39 brass dirt cheap. I might attempt reloading it with some more of the "special rounds" instead of the regular FMJ.

STF situation never know.
  6. streetbob

streetbob Member

I know I was very bummed when I learned how much it was to reload that round. Joker if you find 7.62 brass dirt cheap don't forget your ole pal streetbob over here :). I would like to load some custom rounds just to see how accurate I can get my ak.
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

you can't even begin to reload for what you can buy wolf or other cheap stuff. I don't reload 9mm for about the same reason more or less, it's stupid cheap.

those two plus the rimfire stuff is my 'buffer'. I can only reload so much! It's nice to just buy ammo that I can fire and forget sometimes, then I don't have to be such a brass rat!
  8. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Or a nice ASI Custom Ruger Mini-30.:D
    [​IMG]

20 rounds, 100 yards.
    [​IMG]
  9. medalguy

medalguy Member

I bought a couple thou rounds of brass cased Russian Bedan primed this last week for .19 a round locally. Watch and it's out there. Boxer will run a little more.

AIM has brass cased Boxer primed SP $9 per box of 20.
  10. armoredman

armoredman New Member

I've reloaded 7.62x39mm for a few years now, and I do it for a few reasons.
    One, when the big ammo crunch was going on in 2008, I was the only one shooting that caliber at the range - people either couldn't find it or were busy sitting on what they had.
    I use the reloads in my CZ 527M and my SA vz-58.
    Two, I love making accurate ammo, and it's fun.
    The generic load I make for the vz-58 uses the Hornady 123 grain spire point over 27 grains of AA 1680. Cost, according to the reloading calculator and my last MidwayUSA invoice, is running me about $15.38 per 50.
    The 527M loves the Berry's 125 grain plated bullet, works quite well. That load, according to the same calculator, it's a wee bit more expensive, running up to $16.58 per 50.
    BTW, I'm NOT counting brass cost - I've been using the same brass for some time now - the vz-58 doesn't sling 'em very far away, and of course the bolt action leaves 'em right where I can grab without moving.
    The last bullet I use is handcast with the NOE mold, wheel weight lead, and yes, it IS usable in both rifles. I get lead for about $1 a pound, so my costs drop to $4.97 for 50. Still working up loads for this bullet, so costs might increase a penny or two as the powder charge goes up. :)
    Using just MidwayUSA, (since I shop there a lot. :) ), the lowest price cheap steel case ammo is Wolf Military Classic, 124 grain FMJ bullet, for $5.29 per 20. That's $13.23 per 50, for cheap mass produced junk ammo. :) Mine is tailored to each rifle, and produces repeatable results in either one. I am not a crack shot by any means, but I do like what I get.
    And very last - I love reloading, it's a fun, productive and relaxing hobby, just like shooting. Reloading and casting give me better things to do with my time than play video games. ;)
    Did I mention I load and cast for 9mm, too? :D 38 Special as well, I just keep picking the cheapies, don't I? :D
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

That is a sweet mini Steve. and I remember you have some good Lapua X39 brass too.
  12. JasonS

JasonS New Member

Sorry to go off topic but noticed you must be into Fly fishing and wondered if I can PM you ever on the topic? I just started tying flys not too long ago, absolute joy. On the topic, does anyone hunt with this round, bolt action, I dont see much on it? If so what rifle?
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ive hunted with an SKS before, killed a few pigs. Mark, a family member of mine, still hunts with his Yugo 59/66 and takes a deer or two a year with it, but that guy can walk out his back door ans shoot a deer in his underwear. Using factory loaded 125 gr SP ammo from Remington. Its ballistically a .30-30
  14. JasonS

JasonS New Member

I was just wondering if say a rem 700 or the like came in this round, Ive got a siaga in it and hit great at a couple hundred yards easy iron sights, but is their a bolt action 700 type rifle geared for it? I dont want to scope that siaga, I like it for an action rifle it reminds me of a glock rifle or something. Anyways.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

16. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Here ya go! I have 3 CZ rifles and they all shot crazy accurate.
    http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-527-carbine/
  17. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Just remember Winchester brass is Large Primer and Rem. uses Small Primer.