Loading a Pirate Pistol

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Native, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Native

Native New Member

I built from a kit years ago a pirate pistol give to me. Would like to possible now try to load and shoot it. Name on the barrel is " JUKAR'' with word ( Spain) I guess it was made in spain?? Ser # 0484XX believe to be Cal 44. has lands and grove barrel .Upon droping the shot round 44 ball into the barrel with a " t " shirt piece of cloth for patch seems to be a good fit. What black powder FFF should be used and how much??
  2. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

Don't use t-shirt material unless it is 100% cotton, any percentage of polyester will melt in the barrel.

How experienced are you with black powder shooting in general?
  3. cakes

cakes New Member

You should bring it in to the shop when you go to buy supplies. Someone there will be able to show you better than it could be described here.
  4. Native

Native New Member

Had a 44 cal relvolver which I reloaded and shot quite a lot. But with a patch being used is some different. The revolver I was able to tell HOW much powder was used in the cylinders. Have no Idea on this pistol?
  5. Native

Native New Member

Photo

Didn't know how to display photo earlier.

Attached Files:

6. Keystone

Keystone New Member

Hi there, I have a few BP guns here. Are you sure yours is .44cal? I have a few Pirate Pistols JUKAR .45cal and .50cal. JUKAR are made in Spain. Diker are the same as Jukar. You can shoot sabots in your gun. You can use lead conciol bullets too. I also have a CVA Pirate pistol in .50cal. I use FF or FFF. Any BP brand is good. You can start with 20gr and work up. These guns can pack a KICK. If you do use cloth patch use 100% cotton. Most gun shops have all the stuff you need to shoot one of these guns. Here are a few pictures of mine for you guys to enjoy.

Attached Files:

7. Native

Native New Member

No I am not sure of it's calibur,How can you measure the bore size with lead and remove the ball not being able to push it out from the nipple end???
  8. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

as long as the bullet has a snug fit WITH the proper patch, you are good.

some of the old spanish "kit" guns were actually ".44" caliber, using the .452 round ball meant for percussion revolvers. plus a .010-.020 patch.

If it is a ".45" caliber it uses a .430 round ball, in conjuction with a .010-.020 patch.
  9. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Don't worry if the ball is a bit undersized. It will still be safe (maybe even safer) to shoot. The accuracy might be off a bit. You can work on that later.

+1 to Keystone. 20 grains of powder is a good place to start. Try a round ball and a patch that holds it medium-tight in the bore.