Loading a pistol

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by E-Rez, Jun 4, 2010.

1. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

Is it ok to manually put a round in the pipe and drop the slide on it, then insert the full mag to acheive the 12+1 in my XD? Or should I keep doing what I've been doing - put the mag in, rack the slide, remove the mag and top it off with that one round.

I suppose this could go for any firearm.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Don't know about an XD. A 1911 has a hook-shaped extractor. The gun is designed so that, as the shell comes up and forward, from the magazine, it comes up underneath the hook, and puts no strain on the extractor. If you drop a round in the barrel and let the slide slam shut, the extractor has to snap around the rim of the shell, to get in the groove. This is not good for it. Because of that, I always load a round from the magazine, then remove the mag and top it off, when loading a 1911. Since I do the 1911 that way, I do all my auto-pistols that way. Makes muscle-memory easier.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

If we want to talk about what's "good" for the pistol then dropping the slide is a action that is not good for the hammer/sear (or striker/sear) unless the trigger is pulled during that operation.

I know, that seems unsafe, but that is the way the gun operates when you fire it. While the slide is returning after a firing and an extraction/ejection process takes place, the trigger is in the pulled position because it happens so fast you can not remove your finger from the trigger fast enough. Any good knowing gunsmith will tell you that closing the slide without pulling the trigger will eventually damage a trigger job. I try to practice pulling the trigger during the act of dropping the slide but of course the gun is pointed down range.

LDBennett
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Good question and two good replys.
    Ive always wondered about that, or it has always been in the back of my mind.
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Insert the mag, drop the slide, remove the mag and top off with another round. The extractor will live longer.
  6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I agree with pretty much everyone else. Fill the chamber from the mag and then top the mag off...or swap in a full as you top it off.

I know this has been the long-time "that's how to do it" but I've always had a little question in the back of my mind on this method...now's as good of a time as any to ask I spose.
    Now...my mind is stuck on 1911s right now, and this is the pattern that has always been said to be damaged by the process.
    If you're releasing the slide with the trigger pulled, what is different than if it's not pulled? If the disconnector is doing it's job, the sear & hammer will be engaged regardless of the trigger position.
    The only thing different I can think of is you might get a bit of trigger bounce that might work on the disconnector-to-sear engagement surface, especially if you've got a "worked" action with a light trigger spring. Is this where the damage will happen or is it at the sear-to-hammer engagement surfaces?
  7. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

All I have is my Springfield Loaded and I've noticed that I can't put one in the pipe with the slide open. But if I load a full magazine, rack the slide, eject the magazine and put one more round in the magazine, I can get the 7+1 (with factory Springfield 1911 magazines) or 8+1 with my stainless Kimber 1911 magazines. I'm not really sure about it. I guess you can do it with some guns, but not others.
  8. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

Excellent info. Thanks everyone!
  9. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Acccording to the Owner's manual for your XD. Inserting a round directly into the chamber can damege the fire arm.

WARNING: Improperly loading the XD® by
    manually inserting a round in the chamber may
    cause accidental discharge and possible damage
    to the extractor. Always load the firearm using the
    magazine. When loading the firearm, always point
    the muzzle in a safe direction.
  10. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

lol, why in the world would I want to read an owner's manual? It goes against my manliness :)
  11. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Now I'm lol as well.

I don't own the XD, but when I was researching what pistol I wanted to purchase the XD was one of them, and I download the Owners manual.

Take Care