Loading for a DPMS LR-308B

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by David8989, Jul 21, 2011.

1. David8989

David8989 New Member

Hey guys, just picked up a LR-308 and i'm looking for anyone that has loaded for these before? I've heard a rumor that the DPMS chambers are quite tight and that small base dies tend to work better to prevent stuck cases, myth or true?? Also any tips for loading for these types of rifles? It'll be used as 0-200yd hunting and 0-750yd paper punching. Thanks for the help guys.
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

True True True in my case anyway. I had to send off to lee for a sizing die cut to the i(i dont remember) bottom or top of the tollerence. It took a couple of weeks to get in. If you call lee they will know exactly what you need, just order it. Short I needed the die short. As far as loads go i need to experiment myself. But with that long bbl i would look at slower powders so you can get your velocity up. For hunting (just a suggestion) use the superformance ammo from hornady. You cant beat it.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  3. The Duke

The Duke New Member

David,
    Ive always used RCBS Competition dies for my LR...I dont think they have small base resizers...Never had a hint of a problem with more than 500 rounds downrange...Ive used regular .223 dies for my DPMS Sweet 16 and not had a problem there either...

Only problem I had with the LR, and it about drove me nuts, was it had a tendency to back out the primer indentions after firing nearing max loads...the nibs would then shear off inside the bolt head , resulting in a punctured primer and after a few rounds, jammed firing pin.....It wasnt the gun at all, I made a doofus mistake and replaced the stock trigger with one that wasnt rated for the .308...:eek:

Eventually I discovered that, changed the trigger to a JP and problem was solved. My bad.:(

I think you will like your LR..It is my favorite rifle and amazingly accurate with reloads using Varget and Sierra MK's in either 168 or 175, GA Arms 168g Match and Fed 175 GM Match..

Oh yeah... +1 on the Hornady bullets...Ive not had the opportunity to shoot enough through my rifle to give an accurate judgement, but other shooters I know have given them rave reviews...I have shot some of the 55g fmjs in the Sweet 16 and although borderline weight for the twist, they shot under an inch.. Hopefully get to try the Nosler Competition Bullet 175 gr before long..
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  4. David8989

David8989 New Member

Hmmm.... Lots of decisions, still cant make up my mind on the dies. Maybe someone else will chime in, hint, hint, hint... I plan on trying out the 168gr SMK's. Also I think i'm gonna try some 168gr AMAX's as well and see what I get out of them with Varget
  5. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Sometimes I really cant understand how Lee can produce such quality dies at such a reasonable price..I started with Lee dies and presses many eons ago.. Only thing I didnt like about their dies was the 'slipping primer punch' setup ..Seem mine needed re-positioning and re-tightning frequently....However this arraingement is to designed to supposedly prevent breaking the primer punch pin which is intergral to the punch...but doesnt work that way all the time and you have to buy an entire new punch from Lee..Been there, done that....:mad:...Needless to say, unless you have a spare, thats the end of that reloading session for awhile....Ive broken more than a few primer punch pins with RCBS, but takes only about a min to replace...Dillons designs offer a quick replacement for the pin also....Always keep a supply on hand. They come in packs of 5 for a couple bucks..

I still have several caliber Lee die sets for some of the things I dont reload often, 303Brit, 38-40.. Some folks like the Lee factory crimp die...I have one for .308 and .223, but not used them yet...Seems like a good idea, but not heard anything good or bad about this crimper....

Today Im almost exclusive into RCBS and Dillon....Tried to run RCBS .45ACP through the then new 550B, but the crimper die wasnt quite long enough to work in the Dillon...I ran out of thread before I could get it adjusted to crimp correctly...even putting the lock ring on the bottom of the die...I suspect this may be a problem with any short pistol cases you try to load on the Dillion without using their dies...But the RCBS dies were quite old and maybe they have changed the length of them...:confused:

I use RCBS, Dillon or Lee for what I run through the Rockchucker....223 and 308 mostly. To be on the safe side, I use Dillons for all the calibers I run in the 550 or 650..but I think any long pistol case such as 44Mag, 44 Spl, 45C,etc would work ok in the Dillon press..Ya just gotta buy their conversion plate...I might add, that the Dillon dies will work in most any single stage press...Dunno about the other progressives. I really like Dillon dies..

Also have one set of .243W Hornady..Im very impressed with these dies so far, but not reloaded very many bullets with them...First class as you would expect from Hornady.
  6. Bigr Bang Thry

Bigr Bang Thry Member

It's not exactly the same gun, but I have an Armalite AR10T, which I managed to win a bunch of matches with... I found that if I size/deprime with a regular RCBS die, then trim to length, and then size again with a small base die (again, RCBS) that the gun will shoot 1/2 MOA groups all day long. My gun LOVES the Hornady 110gr V-MAX with Hodgdon's Benchmark and Federal GM210M primers. What a fabulous combination ! Of course, a THOROUGH cleaning every 20 rounds is necessary to maintain top accuracy. I also spent about 1000 rounds and 350 cleanings breaking in the barrel. I also worked up a heavier load, using 150gr Sierra Matchking bullets, again with Benchmark, but my gun seems to prefer the 110's, although the Sierra's shoot a very respectable group.
  7. David8989

David8989 New Member

How much life are you getting out of your brass sizing it this way?
    Wow! That's probably the longest break-in procedure i've ever heard of! Lol! What are the advantages to that versus a 40rd break-in?
    Also, Duke, I know what brands i'm looking for, either RCBS or Lee, I just can't decide on small base or regular...
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  8. The Duke

The Duke New Member

My thoughts are you cant go wrong with the RCBS SB die if you going to reload only for a gas gun..but they(RCBS) warn not to shoot reloads from a Small Base die in a non gas operated system...bolt, drop block, single shot ect...:confused:

Ive not had problems using regular dies, but my DPMS may be different than yours...You can buy the SB die and then get a RCBS Competition Seat/crimp die seperately or buy the set...prob cheaper to get the set.....The RCBS comp die will allow you to use its micrometer set for bullet length...You load the bullet into a front cut out and a sleeve will center it exactly in the case mouth... It seats using the bullet ojive rather than the bullet tip...It is pricy, but good thing is that if want to change over to another caliber, all you need do is buy another insert for that caliber and change it out with your .308 sleeve....Nifty...I will try to post some pics tomorrow..
  9. David8989

David8989 New Member

Wow, I like the micrometer set up. I may go ahead and get the comp. set and just get an extra SB die.
  10. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I have the LR308-L and use RCBS regular dies and have never had problem one. I also use H4895 and 150gr. Nosler BT for the most part. You will love the DPMS.
  11. Bigr Bang Thry

Bigr Bang Thry Member

Acording to Armalite, they reccomend a break-in process that expends about 200 rounds. I knew that I was going to use this gun for competition, and that a slow break-in would pay off in the long run. This is the process I used:
    Shoot it once, and clean it. Do that 20 times. (20 rounds )
    Shoot it twice, and clean it. Do that 20 times. ( 40 rounds )
    Shoot it three times, and clean it. Do that 20 times. ( 60 rounds )
    Shoot it five times, and clean it. Do that 20 times. ( 100 rounds )
    Shoot it ten times, and clean it. Do that 20 times. ( 200 rounds )
    Shoot it 15 times, and clean it. Do that 20 times. ( 300 rounds )
    Shoot it 20 times, and clean it. Do that 20 times. ( 400 rounds )
    THEN I started to work up a pet load for the gun. All this time I found that the groups were getting smaller, and the cleanings were using less effort. I've got about 2200 rounds through the gun now, and I couldn't be happier with its performance. Originally I purchased 1500 rounds of 147gr FMJ ammo from PMC to use for the break-in process, and as I went along, I saved all the targets for comparison. You can actually see the difference between groups shot from the gun as it got older. Mind you, I've done a fair bit of work to this rifle, including a JP trigger, springs, low mass hammer, anti-walk pins, etc, and I have it topped with a Nightforce NXS scope, but it sure shoots !
    As far as brass life, I only use brass 3 to 4 times for competition, then it gets turned into "everyday" use.
  12. David8989

David8989 New Member

Wow! that's a TON of rounds to break that bad boy in! According to the DPMS manual their break-in procedure is:
    25rds - shoot 1, clean 1
    75rds - shoot 10, clean 1
    100rds - shoot 25, clean 1

I went out to the range the other day and put the first 25rds through it in about 3.5 hours. My glass is supposed to be here today so maybe I can start making some 10rd targets and see the difference. But then again it's 106 degrees right now so maybe tomorrow morning. Lol!
    Anyways, Back on topic, i'm gonna go with the SB dies with a micrometer bullet seater once I collect enough brass.
  13. The Duke

The Duke New Member

David,
    Dont be surprised if it takes 100+ rounds after breaking in the barrel for the groups to tighten up to their best. Least ways, that happened with mine..Once it got to that point, there is generally only about 1" from my fouling shot to stacking them in one hole..
  14. David8989

David8989 New Member

First Official AAR w/ DPMS LR308 with some questions:D First off went through 50rds today of AE 168gr OTM & Bitterroot V 168gr AMAX. First, let me say that i'm no sharpshooter but I do believe with some practice and some good reloads i'm capable of 1 MOA. I was NOT impressed by the bitterroot ammo one bit. I didn't even save one of those targets because they were that embarrasing, like 2.25 MOA @ 100yd :mad: Now the AE did quite a bit better. My best 4 shot groups were 0.80 MOA & 0.93 MOA @ 100yd with quite a few other groups coming in between 1 and 2 MOA. I'm quite anxious to start reloading for this caliber but will still have to wait 2 more weeks before getting the equipment:bleh:

To some it up I have a few questions:

1)How does .308 brass differ in capacity from headstamp to headstamp? A lot, average, or not enough to make a difference in MY targets;)

2) Is Bitterroot ammo really that inconsistent or am I just righting it off early?
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  15. David8989

David8989 New Member

[​IMG]

2 groupings with a .4 MRAD deviation. was checking the scopes abilities :)

[​IMG]
    Hope a couple pics of my new baby are okay...
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011