Loading Low Pressure Rounds

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by USMCSpeedy, Nov 5, 2012.

1. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I'm getting ready start reloading 11x52r for by Beaumont. I have found load info for smokeless powder even thought it was originally a black powder round (yes I'm aware of what can happen and I have had the firearm checked out). I'm just wondering if anyone else here loads low pressure smokeless rounds for older firearms designed for black powder cartridges and what your result have been like. Springfield Trapdoor in 45-70 for instance.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I use IMR Trailboss for this exact purpose. Simply make up a dummy round and cut the case just beneath the bullet. use that cut off case a sa dipper for your powder and measure out 10 charges, unpacked and struck level with the top (i.e. the powder would be sitting just below the seated bullet in the case) then take and average weight of the charge and reduce it by 10%. use that as your load. Trailboss runs its best consistency at 90% load density and Ive done this very procedure with many BP firearms with UNcatasrophic results. ;)

Good luck speedy!
  3. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

There are a number of powders that will get you where you want to go with careful load workup. In the 45/70 I regularly use IMR4198 and RL7 with low pressures and decent velocities. The cases fall out of the gun and the primers are rounded, but no blackening of the brass to indicate pressures so low the case fails to seal. Do a little research and you ought to get a good starting load to work with.