Loading shotshells without machines.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Urban_Black_Redneck, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Urban_Black_Redneck

Urban_Black_Redneck New Member

Is there any way to load shells with just tools? Can you at least just get dies to put on the Lee hand press? Are there any brass cases for shotguns?
  2. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Yes and no.......RCBS used to sell reloading dies for metalic presses, but you needed a press with removable bushing (1 1/2 threads like the Rockchucker).

Occasionally they surface on Ebay, but are generally very costly. I've also seen Herters SS dies for sale, but they will only work in the Herters press (different large thread size)

I believe Lee may still offer the shotshell hand kits (not sure). The problem is that the price of obtaining these dies may be nearing the cost of a good used single stage (Mec Jr., etc).

I have not seen any SS dies that work in the standard 7/8-1 thread
  3. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Brass cases, look around they do exist, but again like all the other brass, they are costly
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

The September/October 2008 issue of Backwoodsman Magazine included an article about how to make a shotshell reloading setup from scrap wood and a single nail. It actually looked very easy. (At least I'm pretty sure it was September/October, though it could have been November/December.) The issue can be purchased here for only $5 including shipping.
    You may want to call them at 866-820-4387 to make sure that's the correct issue, though. My memory isn't what it was even a year ago. (And I'm still just 23!)

I haven't built one yet because I was living in a one-room apartment at the time, and I didn't have many tools with me, but I think I'll try to build it here in the next month. Your post may just have been the proverbial kick in the pants I needed to get the project done. :)