Loading with the RCBS stinking .223 SB sizing die

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (10/15/02 9:25:47 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Loading with the RCBS stinking .223 SB sizing die
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Badges! No, RCBS SB .223 sizing die won't shorten up the brass enough or is stretching it too long when decapper pin is pulled out.

I'm using a Dillon .223 case gage to check the over all length and proper chamber fit of the brass before loading same...a lot of the brass will not seat all the way into the case gage, it looks like the shoulder of the brass is stopping it from seating deeply enough. Two or three thousands on the cartridge rim is hanging out the backend of the Dillon case gage.

I've even taken the decapper rod and pin out of the die and turned it down about as low as you can to try and push that shoulder back down on the brass...don't work.

Should I buy a new small base sizing die, am I stretching the brass when sizing it on the pull out? I use RCBS case lube die.

This and other reasons is why I don't like loading Small Base dies, a pain in the tush.

Gunguy

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/15/02 1:45:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Loading with the RCBS stinking .223 SB sizing die
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GG -

Try getting ahold of RCBS on their 800 number (1-800-533-5000) Mon - Fri 6:30AM - 4:00PM (Pacific Time), or email them with the problem at: rebstech@rcbsoroville.com

I've always found them to be very helpful with their products. Heck, even bent some decapping pins and they sent me a half dozen and a sizing ball, free!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/15/02 2:15:12 pm)
    GG,
    Sounds like you may have a bad die. It also sounds as though you are using military brass. One thing you can try is to take an unsized piece of brass and with a candle, get soot on the brass from about 1/2 inch below the shoulder all the way to the end of the neck. With the die adjusted so that the shell holder is touching the die when the lever is applied, see what happens with the brass and soot. You should see the neck and shoulder clear of soot where contact is made and the shoulder pushed back. If not, then you have a bad die. This is a quick and dirty check. I always adjust my SB die so the after contact with the shell holder, I add another 1/8 of a turn to compound the leverage. Let me know how this works out.

Another question. Do you lube the inside of the case neck before sizing? I use white graphite with a Lyman brush stand. What is the diameter of the sizer button? Good luck
    I am not a native Texan, but I got here as fast as I could!

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (10/15/02 4:50:13 pm)
    AH HA! Who says you can't teach an old fart new tricks.

Problem solved on the .223 die sizeing of the brass and making the cartridge case fit in the Dillon case gage.

I want to thank you two guys, Kadub and Inplanotx for answering my distress call and frustration using these small base dies.

The solution was found by calling that 800 number and talking to the RCBS rep and what I have been doing and what I should be doing.

Solution was found by screwing the SB sizing die all the way down until it touches the shell holder or in my case the Dillon shellplate holder on progressive press, raise handle slightly and turn the die another 1/4 turn and lock in the lock ring.

Then my press started cranking out the brass that was properly sized and drops into the case gage where it should fit at.

Man I love it when things start coming together on loading rifle brass, and my thanks go out to you guys and the reps at RCBS.

Gunguy is a happy camper again.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/15/02 6:20:09 pm)
    Anything to get your panties out of a wad, GG!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (10/15/02 11:10:46 pm)
    Yep, that did it.

GG

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/16/02 7:22:03 am)
    Sounds good to me. Now you can keep them in the black. Are you still looking for .44 special brass? If so, send me an email with you snail mail address.

I am not a native Texan, but I got here as fast as I could!

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (10/16/02 9:53:09 am)
    inplanotx, yes indeed I'm looking for good .44 special brass.

I have a lot of rifle brass that I don't use but collected, mostly once fired stuff...what are you're caliber needs...I can send you some.

Gunguy