loaning to non-gunners

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flopshot, Jan 13, 2006.

1. flopshot

flopshot New Member

so, last night i get home and pop the top on a cold one. grab the local left wing fish wrap and check out the classifieds. "wanted: old guns for set decoration. firing pins must be removed. (for the set of "Deathtrap"). also need crossbow and edged weapons. duration, tree weeks, contact so and so. i pop the top on another and think , ok that might work. the A3,1917,the type 38, etc. i could pull the bolts, no body's gonna get that close anyway. take some photo's with s/n's and apx values..... hmmmm getting a little complicated. how about some type of release ? would i need one ? pop the top on another..... what if some of this stuff gets lost ?... then it hit's me. all these people involved in this and nobody owns any guns ? what the #### ? i think i'll keep my stuff to myself. besides, the last thing i need is a thankyou in the local rag for loaning guns with my name on it. am i getting paranoid ?
  2. Jay

Jay New Member

not paranoid at all...... I wouldn't have done it either.
  3. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I would not have loaned them either. The less that people know the better.
  4. henry0reilly

henry0reilly Member

Avoiding unnecessary risks is not paranoid.
  5. flopshot

flopshot New Member

thanks folks, i was active in building a range with six others years ago. when it was done, all of a sudden we seemed to have alot more shooters than construction helpers and these "members" would crowd around the back of the jeep where my guns were. 2 months of weekends working and i quit on the first day of shooting. since then the SOP when anyone asks me or my wife is. " na. we got rid of all our guns" damn shame it has to come to this.
  6. dge479

dge479 New Member

I wouldnt do it, either. Probibly a bunch of lefties anyway.
  7. raveneap

raveneap New Member

Rule # 1: Do Not Loan Guns. Period.

As far as the situation you described, any number of reasons to stay far away from that deal. But, stick to Rule # 1, and you don't have to even give it a thought. You made the right decision.
  8. user_error

user_error New Member

Damn right. Anyone even asking for a gun loan is probably just looking for props and fakes, not actual real guns. If they're as ignorant as they sound, you may as well loan your whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. Or your gun to teenage boys!
  9. user_error

user_error New Member

Actually though, I do loan my guns at the shooting range, as long as the shooter is standing right in front of me. If it's a matter of days and not minutes, no way.
  10. I's as soon loan my wife as one of my guns. I'll let others shoot my firearms at the range sometimes if I feel the person is responsible, but the gun must remain in my sight. I don't think that's paranoia, it's just being sensible.