Local Gun Shop Robbed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Swwbo, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Swwbo

Swwbo New Member

One of the local gun shops here were robbed today... Small business... Told the guys walked away with over 100 handguns and some long guns.. Don't know all the details as of yet but will be on the news I'm sure... Thank God no one lost their life... One blessing out of this no one was killed.

Just found this on the breaking news from the times dispatch.

Guns stolen in brazen holdup

Richmond Times-Dispatch Jan 11, 2005

Several masked men robbed a Chesterfield County gun shop this morning of more than 100 firearms in what police described as a brazen "takeover" holdup.

Police said at least one employee was ordered to the floor at gunpoint, but no one was hurt.

The robbery occurred about 8:20 a.m. at Bob Moates Gun Shop at 10418 Hull Street Road. At least one armed suspect entered, but was apparently assisted by three other men.

"The employee heard a number of people," a police spokeswoman said.

The suspects smashed glass cases to remove the guns, mostly pistols, police said.

An initial report described the men as wearing black clothing and green-knit scarves. They fled in a gold-colored Nissan Sentra car.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  2. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

That doesn't sound good!!! Wasn't the owner armed???
  3. Salvage33

Salvage33 New Member

Shreveport, LA why leave the USA to visit a 3rd wo
    Every gun shop and pawn shop here, except one, the clerks and owner are armed. A few of them even have metal detectors built into their door ways so that they have ample warning if too much 'metal' is coming in.

Glad to hear that no one was hurt or killed. Find out what was taken, and let us all know to be on the lookout for some "deals."

John
  4. Swwbo

Swwbo New Member

You can bet they are headed to NY or FL.
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

All of the gun shop guys are armed around here.
  6. Dr.Badwrench

Dr.Badwrench New Member

It seems to me that holding up a gun shop would be tha Acme of all stupidity. I have never seen an employee of a gun shop that wasn't openly packing. Even if they weren't, would they not have something under the counter?
  7. wizard78

wizard78 New Member

Thanks for the heads up SWWBO. They'll probably show up at some shows and sell as "private sale". I bought a Smith 39 back in the 80s that was stollen, at a show. Lucky when they caught up to the gun, I had maticulous records. BATF went after the guy that I bought from.
  8. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

Havent seen anything on the news about it yet!
  9. Neil

Neil New Member

the shop I go to in town has armed empoyees.
  10. Laxcoach

Laxcoach Member

I'll bet that some of those guns resurface at the Showplace this weekend--- tell Punchie to be on the lookout for unusual bargains coming in the door.
  11. Swwbo

Swwbo New Member

Just know this from a local TV station

Thieves steal at least 100 guns from Chesterfield store

By Mike Garrity
    NBC12 News
    Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Chesterfield Police are working with State Police and federal Alcohol, Firearm and Tobacco agents on what they’re calling a “priority situation” -- armed robbery suspects on the run with at least 100 stolen guns.

A man wearing a mask walked into a gun shop on Hull Street near Courthouse Road. Police say that just before 8:30 this morning, he presented a gun and ordered the sole employee to the floor.

Police say they found glass cases that were smashed and a large volume of firearms taken from Bob Moates Gun Shop. Even before an inventory could be taken of what was stolen, officers alerted area police departments that witnesses had seen four suspects fleeing the scene with what police say are at least 100 stolen guns.

Captain Paige Foster of Chesterfield Police says that the items include handguns and as many as four AR-15’s, which are similar to M-16’s.

Officers say there is a serious safety issue when it comes to police officers who could inadvertently pull over the suspects and not be aware of the situation. Police also are concerned about where these guns could end up. They may be sold locally, but more than likely, the suspects’ goal would be to pass them out of state.

Police are asking for the public’s help. They are looking for four black males who were wearing dark clothing and gloves. They were last seen driving a gold or tan colored, older model Nissan Sentra.

Local police are working the case with the Virginia State Police and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

If you have any information, please call Chesterfield Police at 748-1251 or Crime Solvers at 748-0660.

(c) 2005. Jefferson Pilot Communications Company of Virginia. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

© Copyright 2005. Jefferson Pilot Communications Company of Virginia. All Rights Reserved.
    Privacy Policy.
    EEO Policy/Public File Report.
  12. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

I go there quite a bit since it's on my way to the hunt club.

I have always seen them armed.

HOWEVER, security is a bit slack. I do not recall seeing video cameras inside or outside.

Also, the way it's set up, there is a large blind spot blocking the front door, so you can come in and be halfway across the store before they see you. They have made recent improvements to make it better.

I hope they get the rats that did this. BUt as others have said, they are probably in NYC by now being sold outta a trunk.

The Owner seems like a real nice guy and has always treated me nicely, even when I was just looking. He also helped me out of a few jambs I got in with my muzzleloader. He is very good with smokepoles and does a lot with civil war re-enactors - uniforms, boots, medals....A real good gun guy.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  13. interstatepawnllc

interstatepawnllc New Member

I ALWAYS carried a holsterd .40 cal openly. I ALWAYS had security cameras and a monitor readily seen and present.

Deterrence keep me safe for over 5 years.

Deterrence is the key to safety. :)
  14. ruger270man

ruger270man New Member

I bet theyll be caught..

Positive ID on the car.. a bunch of guns stolen, all of which have their serial numbers probably recorded in their books, and im sure all surrounding area gun shops will be keeping an eye out..

Unless theyre just selling them on the street.. hell I dunno