Local Laws

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by jdinger29, Sep 17, 2011.

1. jdinger29

jdinger29 New Member

Just wondering what some of the local laws are out there for handguns. In Minnesota one has to apply for a "Permit to Purchase" through the local sheriff. After the proper background check has been completed the permit is mailed and is valid for one year. If you have a Concealed Carry permit you do not need a purchase permit. Is this pretty typical? I am also curious about transport laws. Are they similar to long gun transport laws? (Unloaded, cased in the rear of the vehicle)...

Thanks!
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Here in the Free State of Florida, you want to buy a gun, you go to the store and buy a gun. No permission needed to buy one or to own one. None of that "one gun a month" crap. You want to buy a gun today and another one tomorrow? Go for it. Want to buy fifteen guns today? You got the money, then have at it.

As to carrying it in your car - it depends.

A loaded firearm can be carried in your vehicle for self defense, as long as it is "securely encased". The law defines "securely encased" as in the glove box or console (whether or not it is locked), or snapped in a holster, or in a box with a lid (and they have decided that a zippered gun case/pistol rug meets the definition of "box with a lid". There is nothing in the law that says the lid must be closed or the zipper must be zipped. Before I got my carry permit, I had my pistol in a cigar box on the seat beside me.

That's for a "loaded firearm". Unloaded gun? Throw it in the car. On the seat, on the floor, in the glove box, in a case or not in a case. For some dumb reason they decided that you can't drive around with a rifle/shotgun in your pickup's gun rack, unless you are going hunting/fishing/camping/target shooting. But otherwise you're golden.

Oh, and sitting on it would probably get you popped for "carrying concealed". Maybe.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

We do have one little bit of stupidity, thanks to them do-ma Yankees that have moved to Miami. There's a waiting period for buying a pistol. It's either three days or five days - I'm not sure. If you have a carry permit it does not apply, and I had my permit before the stupid waiting period got passed into law, so I've never had to worry about it.

The way the law reads, if you already have a gun, and the dealer KNOWS you already have a gun, you don't have to wait, but all the dealers are too damn afraid of the law that they make you wait anyway, even if they know you have one because they sold it to you last week.
  4. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

we have it pretty good considering our proximity to CA. Walk in a store, pick out weapon, pay for weapon, call to atf (if all goes well) or show ccw card and out the door you go. Transport is a little odd, open carry state so keep it displayed, loaded or not, or if conceal carrying it is best to inform law enforcement at beginning of encounter with them to keep things from escalating. No real law saying you must inform but they sure appreciate knowing up front rather than being surprised.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Ahh.....California laws!

You can only buy handguns on the list of safety certified guns or on the exempt Olympic pistols list. Handguns must have a loaded indicator and a magazine safety and fall off the list every few years. There are strict rules about semi-auto center fire rifle configurations that include a removable magazine (assault weapons ban).

Must pass firearms eligibility test for any gun ownership (DROS--equivalent of NICS)

Must wait for 10 days (for rifles, shotguns, and handguns).

Must have passed a written handgun safety test (good for several years) and gun operations test (for each handgun you buy). You can only buy one handgun a month. All handguns must be registered with the state DOJ.

Concealed carry only with a permit that is tough to get. But you can carry a firearm on your person if fully displayed and unloaded (watch your back as the COP's are trigger happy when they see any firearm).

Handguns must be unloaded and in a locked container separate from the ammo to transport in a vehicle (trunk works but glove box or console does not).

Handguns must be delivered with a new trigger lock and you must have a safe for home storage.

In large parts of the state no lead ammo is allowed to be shot (that includes 22LR).

A yet to be implemented law is on the books requiring micro stamping of all ammo.

Every year more anti-gun laws are passed by the completely liberal anti-gun legislature that gets more liberal and anti-gun every day.

LDBennett
  6. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/ConcealedCarry.asp

Concealed carry just passed in July I believe. Nobody except retired law enforcement officers in good standing with their department or off duty cops were allowed to have concealed weapon permits. Pretty proud of Walker and the other Republicans for standing up to the anti-gun lobby here which includes Tammy Baldwin and Herb Kohl. If I read the legislation correctly, this also allows people without a permit to have a concealed weapon in their vehicle, not encased or unloaded. Is it a good idea to let people carry in their car w/o a permit? I think so, but time will tell. The only thing I don't like about the legislation is that the requirements for applying for a permit are not very clear. Many people have been saying that an online video can suffice as "training." They're also talking about not allowing Hunter Safety cards as training because people are taking those classes because the CCW classes are filled up, and then it's making it harder for hunters to obtain a HS card. And they don't really even teach handgun stuff in hunter safety.

Open carry has always been legal here as far as I can remember. I've never done it because I live in Madison, which is the city and people who don't know the law gripe and complain. And even if they do know the law, they disagree with it and just complain anyway because they know the police will ticket you for disturbing the peace & disorderly conduct when they're the ones disturbing the peace and being disorderly.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  7. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

Federal law requires the seller and buyer to file a seperate Multi-purchase form when buying more than one firearm. This is Federal law regardless of where you live. We have Constl. Carry or CCW if you choose. I don't care about eastern politics but. All modern handgun control registration, permits etc orginated in the South. The most restrictive gun laws were passed and signed by Southern Presidents. Clinton [Ark] Assault Weapons ban. LBJ[Txs] the horrible 1968 Gun Control Law and added the BATF to control American gun owners. :D
  8. Rneck

Rneck New Member

South Carolina is similar to Florida,walk in and get what you want. Carry in vehicle with or without a permit in console or glove box. My only question is why do we need a permit to exercise a constitutional right?
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Texas laws are a little lax now due to recent laws that have been passed. It used to that in TX you could not have a gun in your vehicle, unless you were on your to, or from, the range, or gun smith. That has now changed and we can carry a gun in the vehicle. I don't really know if there is a waiting peroid on hand guns or not in TX. I have a CCW, and have had it for so long I don't know the laws on this except to say that with a CCW there is no wait. And of course TX has the famed Castle Doctrine.
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Same here! Back when TX first started their CCW license stuff I got in the face of one of these "sellers" of my rights at a gun show. Our Bill of Rights states plainly: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed". If that right shall not be infringed, then why do they make us undergo a back ground check, and then charge us money? It's just another tax!
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If you are going to quote laws, please get them correct. The law you mention ONLY applies to FFLs, and ONLY applies to pistols.

If I go to Frank's Gun Shop and buy two pistols within a five-day period, Frank has to fill out the "multi-handgun purchase" form. I, as the buyer, don't have to do anything except take my guns home.

If I go to Frank's Gun Shop and buy five rifles and three shotguns, no forms are filled out (except for the verdammt 4473) by either of us. I take my guns and leave, and Frank closes early and takes his wife out to dinner.:D

If I go to my neighbor's yard sale and buy three pistols, I take my guns and go home while he sticks the money in his pocket quickly before his wife sees it. Again, no forms by either of us.

So I, the buyer, don't fill out squat. Unless it is pistols (not all firearms) nothing is filled out. And the only one that has to fill 'em is an FFL, not just "any seller".
  12. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

And in what appears to be a classic case of "this isn't a bad law because it does not affect ME", you seem to have forgotten the Sullivan Act (New York), The National Firearms Act of 1934 (FDR, from New York), and we mustn't forget the Firearm Owner's Protection Act of 1986, which did many nice things, but also outlawed the private ownership of new-made machine guns, and is the reason why a 500 dollar MP5 costs 20 thousand dollars now. Thank you Ronald Regan (California).
  13. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

I would assume anyone buying or selling firearms would know these small details. I am glad to know we have Lawyers from the Federal Bench monitoring the post. I live in a state where we have open carry, Constl. carry, CCW and very few gun laws of any kind. It seems the citizens of states that are aware of the laws that infringe on their rights would be working to change them. Work to change the laws instead of being thankful for restrictions.:confused:
  14. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

15. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

TN - very little stupidity here. You want a gun/guns, you go buy them. The only wait is the background check, and a HCP "can" negate that. We are a "shall issue" state with a "castle doctrine/no retreat clause" law. We have a HCP (carry permit), not a CCW, so you can OC or CC, your choice. Only stupid thing I can think of is you have to have a HCP to carry a loaded long gun in your vehicle. Where I live (extreme NE TN), though, i doubt seriously if any LEO will stop you to check the 12 gauge and 30-06 in the gun rack of your pickup...they already know it's loaded.
  16. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

In Indiana, all NFA weapons except short barreled shotguns are legal. An AOW that is a shotgun handgun (a short barreled shotgun without the buttstock) is perfectly legal. :confused: I *think* that one would have to take a virgin shotgun receiver to make that shotgun handgun, as simply cutting down an existing shotgun will always be a SBS, which is illegal here.

For just purchasing a handgun, there is no permit, waiting period, nothing goofy like that. If I want to buy a handgun (or thirty) and I have the funds to do so, I'm taking it home with me in less than 15 minutes. There are also no restrictions of any kind transferring firearms between adult individuals (except maybe if you have reason to know that person is a prohibited person, but getting yourself involved in that would be stupid even if it were legal). No safety checks, registration, or anything like that.

Until recently, a "License to Carry Handgun" was need to transport a handgun (even unloaded, cased, locked, out of reach, whatever) anywhere except from the place of purchase to the person's home or fixed place of business, or back and forth between a place of repair and the person's home or fixed place of business. You technically could not legally transport a handgun to the shooting range without the LTCH. But that has been fixed now (and I don't know of any instances that anyone was placed in any legal jeopardy for violating the law as it was written).
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  17. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

If you want to go cross-eyed look up the Ohio laws .... they are so contradictory that
    I've not been able to get the local L.E.O.'s to explain 'em to me .
    I, often, drive through Ohio on my way south .... with my carry piece ( empty ) locked
    in the trunk .
  18. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

If Ohio's gun laws make you cross eyed, New York's will make you go blind. You can't explain something that has no explanation.
  19. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

pretty interesting thread.
  20. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Regulatory laws should be reviewed on a yearly basis. If it cannot be demonstrated that the law actually has had a positive effect on what it was intended to do, it should be voided. Instead, restrictive states have duplicate, multiple, counteracting, confusing and nonsensical volumes of laws that only affect law abiding citizens and do nothing to solve crime issues. They are merely feel-good laws to validate so-called law-makers already over-inflated ego's.