Local Laws

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by jdinger29, Sep 17, 2011.

1. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

In Indiana, all NFA weapons except short barreled shotguns are legal. An AOW that is a shotgun handgun (a short barreled shotgun without the buttstock) is perfectly legal. :confused: I *think* that one would have to take a virgin shotgun receiver to make that shotgun handgun, as simply cutting down an existing shotgun will always be a SBS, which is illegal here.

For just purchasing a handgun, there is no permit, waiting period, nothing goofy like that. If I want to buy a handgun (or thirty) and I have the funds to do so, I'm taking it home with me in less than 15 minutes. There are also no restrictions of any kind transferring firearms between adult individuals (except maybe if you have reason to know that person is a prohibited person, but getting yourself involved in that would be stupid even if it were legal). No safety checks, registration, or anything like that.

Until recently, a "License to Carry Handgun" was need to transport a handgun (even unloaded, cased, locked, out of reach, whatever) anywhere except from the place of purchase to the person's home or fixed place of business, or back and forth between a place of repair and the person's home or fixed place of business. You technically could not legally transport a handgun to the shooting range without the LTCH. But that has been fixed now (and I don't know of any instances that anyone was placed in any legal jeopardy for violating the law as it was written).
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

If you want to go cross-eyed look up the Ohio laws .... they are so contradictory that
    I've not been able to get the local L.E.O.'s to explain 'em to me .
    I, often, drive through Ohio on my way south .... with my carry piece ( empty ) locked
    in the trunk .
  3. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

If Ohio's gun laws make you cross eyed, New York's will make you go blind. You can't explain something that has no explanation.
  4. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

pretty interesting thread.
  5. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Regulatory laws should be reviewed on a yearly basis. If it cannot be demonstrated that the law actually has had a positive effect on what it was intended to do, it should be voided. Instead, restrictive states have duplicate, multiple, counteracting, confusing and nonsensical volumes of laws that only affect law abiding citizens and do nothing to solve crime issues. They are merely feel-good laws to validate so-called law-makers already over-inflated ego's.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You know, that's one of the most intelligent things I've read lately.
  7. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

and therefore it will never be done...
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yep, you're right. Never happen.
  9. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Yeah, not in government. You could maybe convince a business to have that kind of policy, but even that would be difficult.