locks back too often

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by prof242, Jun 4, 2011.

1. prof242

prof242 New Member

My 1911 locks back after every two or three shots. This happens with every magazine I've got including two brand new ones by different manufacturers. I've been advised to get a new recoil spring, but that does not seem like a viable answer to me. Am I wrong? What should I do?
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Welcome to the forum Prof !

1) Check the tab on the slide stop that engages the magazine during lockback for copper rubbings. If you see anything, you have bullet noses causing early engagement by hitting the tab early. Is your ammo too long for spec? Or, is your mag out of spec and allowing the bullets to nose forward too much? Have to tried different magazines? You can clearance the area on your slide stop with a fine file if you have experience with that but check your ammo and mag first before filing on the slide stop tab. Go slow. i've seen split match sticks glued inside mag's to push the round back a tad , but i suggest nylon or something of that nature ..

2) Also check the plunger spring for sufficent tension. Beyond that, make sure there are no burrs on your slide stop plunger or inside of your plunger tube. If you have a weak plunger tube spring, replace it with a good one from Brownells, If you see burrs, remove them.

3) While you have the plunger spring and slide stop plunger out, reassemble the pistol. Place the slide stop in the gun but do not press it into the notch. Let it hang down inside of the trigger guard. Watch your frame as you don't want to scratch it. Rack the slide a few times. If the slide stop swings wildly and with sufficent tension, you may have to refit your barrel link and barrel feet. This is a bad case and I hope this isn't your problem. It usually only crops up on tight fitted target or custom guns.

4) If your slide stop is not dimpled to hold it down propertly, you can dimple it. But be careful! If you don't dimple it in the right place or with the right depth you can ruin your slide stop. You don't always need the dimple but it helps out.

5) slide stop lug , some seem over size and allow any size projectile to lock it open
    trimming it down with a dremel works but do a little each time and test
    ( posted previously)

as for recoil spring .. ??? unless its slamming the slide back too hard i dont see it but its been a while since i played with them ...
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  3. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Any possibility you use to high of a hold and your thumb rides up a little during recoil and engages the stop? I've seen this happen.
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Are you using the factory slide stop? I've heard an overweight slide stop can make your slide lock back like that when it isn't supposed to.
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

make sure the detent pin has a decent hold on the slide stop lever. I've seen some were the detent did not make a strong enough contact and the lever would actually bounce up into the lock position.
  6. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

Check the detent pin and the detent pin spring. I had this happen once and it was a weak spring on the detent pin. Replaced the spring and had no more trouble.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Im with permafrost... I think its a simple thumb riding the slidestop. Fairly common especially with the extended levers..
  8. prof242

prof242 New Member

Can't be my thumb, I'm a lefty. A righty also had the problem with my pistol. As mentioned above, bought two new magazines made by separate makers after the problem occurred with the original magazines. Will try a new plunger spring. Did try four types of ammo from short HPs to hardball. Same problem. Also may dimple the slide stop.
    Thanks for all the recommendations.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

LEFTY? hold on i got something here about that ..

10. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I'm still sticking to slide stop bounce. the slide stop may need to be slightly notched. I've seen this on a couple Kimbers. Its not always easy to diagnose. I only caught it bc was watching the guy shoot.
  11. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

There is not enough info to accurately offer a fix for this problem. But, not having the pistol in hand, this may be a solution.

I've had to cut the slide stop lug down to proper Colt dimensions, and the problem went away.
    This was simply a matter of a slide stop made over-sized and not fitted by the factory. But since we don't know what brand pistol and how it's fitted, it's just a suggestion. Check it.

Check the plungers and spring in the plunger tube for proper tension. If the tension is low due to spring, plunger, or tube problems, the stop may bounce up into lock under recoil.
    Note that the plunger spring is supposed to have a kink in the center. This prevents the plungers and spring from coming out during disassembly. Since we still don't know if the pistol is new or worn, how many rounds fired, etc, it's still just a guess.

It could be a spring or lubrication issue but again, not enough info.

Good luck with your fix as it will be trail and error.
  12. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

Could it be something that a Wilson Combat or Macormack mag could cure?
  13. prof242

prof242 New Member

The pistol is a 80s model Colt. Only two things done to it, adjustable sights added and a Colt flat mainspring housing.
  14. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Do this, clean the slide stop with a degreaser along with the frame below it. get some masking tape and tape the slide stop down. Shoot it. You'll find your answer on what to chase. You have many many opinions on what may be wrong. Its your turn to chase it or send it to a smith. Seems that you want a defiant answer. W/o the gun in hand, no one can give you one. Try some of these recommendations. BTW, a bad recoil spring has nothing to do with the slide stop. Ive shot 2011 race guns shooting 9mm major with only 9 lb recoil springs, and they don't lock open intermittent. Some times with the 45's the next round loading up will touch the slide stop locking it open. With the slide off the gun but the slide stop re-inserted and a loaded mag in the well, its evident if thats the problem but more than likely its not.
  15. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Did you buy the gun new ??

If not, could the slide stop have been changed ??