Lone Wolf barrel and reloading for Glock

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by springerbuster, Dec 7, 2009.

1. springerbuster

springerbuster New Member

Do any of you shoot Glocks with an aftermarket barrel to avoid the extra wear on your brass? I have a couple of Glocks that I am considering trading because of the whole not supposed to reuse Glock brass thing. I just reload jacketed bullets so the no lead bullet in Glocks is not the problem. I have heard that an aftermarket barrel with tighter tolerances will solve the problem of "Glocked" brass. I am considering a Lone Wolf barrel. Has any one tried one of these? Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

I have a LW barrel on my 23. Works great, no "Glocked" brass, still runs without a hitch and very accurate.
  3. gary0529

gary0529 Member

Although I have run large amounts of lead cast thru the OEM Glock 19 barrel I got a LW barrel back over one year ago and now pretty much use it whenever I shoot lead bullets.
    No problems with either accuracy or function and the price is right.

I know the warnings from glock but in my 9 I never noticed any real bulidup of lead in the bore.
    Guess I swapped barrels just 'cuz I thought it might be prudent.

Gary
  4. olehippy

olehippy New Member

I installed LW barrels in both my G19 and 26 early last summer for the same reason (safety concerns w/ used brass and high pressure handloads). I’ve never had a problem with brass splitting, budging, ect, I bought the LW barrels just for safety.

I did notice a very slight loss of accuracy when using the LW barrel in both weapons. Nothing terrible, probably would only have an effect when competition shooting, but I at least have found the OEM barrel a little more accurate. I now use my LW mainly for ‘day-to-day’ use when I shoot whatever reloads are handy, and the OEM barrel(s) when I target shoot – I’m just careful to use ‘younger’ brass for my target loads.

Just one old buzzard’s opinion, hope it helps.

Miles
  5. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

I've been wanting to ask this question anyways, so now is as good as time as any.

For those of you shooting aftermarket barrels in your Glocks, especially anyone who has a G22.

How much difference do you see in the expelled cases from the stock barrel to the aftermarket?

Can you visually see a difference?

How about with calipers? How much measurable difference in the expansion of the brass?

Thanks.
  6. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Never had a problem shooting reloads from a Glock in a Glock. A good resizing die takes care of the problem.
    A lot of folks think it is a problem but it really is not.
  7. springerbuster

Thanks for your replies. I don't have a problem shooting my reloads in a Glock, mine shoot fine through my model 17. I am just concerned about all that I have heard about Glock factory barrels being hard on brass due to not being fully supported.
  8. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Shoot them and inspect before reloading, just as you would do with any brass.
    Be safe and have fun.
  9. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

After I bought my G22, I did a lot of searching on the 'unsupported chamber' issue. Here's what I found.

No chamber is 'fully supported'. That is realistically impossible on an autoloader. Glock has a bit of a looser tolerance on their chambers than some other guns. This is in one of the reasons that Glocks are so ammo friendly. the slightly looser chamber makes feed jams less of an issue. The tighter the chamber, the more picky the gun is to feeding, the more likely it is to have a feed jam. That is what has lead me to the earlier question about the measured difference of expansion in an aftermarket vs. factory Glock barrel.

I had found one web site where there was a picture of two barrels side by side, each with a round sitting in them. One clearly had less support around the 6 o'clock position of the round. Guess which one was more "supported".....the factory Glock chamber. The article did not state which manufacturer was shown. They are not all the same.

There are a lot of aftermarket barrels out there. The largest advantage that I can see in aftermarket is the ability to use unjacketed lead. Glock uses a different rifleing in their barrels which tends to be unwise in using unjacketed ammo. Other than that, they are a fine and reasonably accurate barrel.

I don't reload yet, but I'm getting close. Been talking to everyone I can about it. My conclusion: I think if one reloads for a .40, dilgence would be the key word. Stay on the safe side of the powder loads, inspect the brass, and maybe don't reuse the brass as many times as you might for other cartridges. The 40 seems to be a bit more prone to the issues. I see/hear less about the 9mm.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  10. Jack Ruby

Jack Ruby New Member

wait a minute!!

Ok so im new, very new to reloading (actually just got all my equipment set up today). I have a Glock 17 and about to start reloading 9mm for it. I have some Berry's Gold FMJ and some Montana Gold FMJ on the way.
    What is the problem with reloading and Glocks??
  11. springerbuster

Jack, google the term glocked brass" and you can read all about it. What you will see is the fact that Glock barrels have less support than some of the other brands. This causes the brass to stretch more from a Glock, leading to case failure sooner than brass fired in some other guns. Supposedly you can remedy this problem by purchasing an aftermarket barrel. That is why I started this thread to see how the aftermarket barrels function. There seems to be different opinions as to reusing Glock brass, some say no problem others say not to reload it at all. I tend to error on the side of safety so I am thinking about either trading my model 17 or purchasing one of these barrels. Hope this helps.
  12. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

1: Glock says Do not shoot reloaded ammunition in your gun. It will void your warranty.
    So does most every other manufacturer, including Kimber

A gun manufacturer cannot warranty a gun from an overzealous reloader who overcharged his home loads. If there is a failure with factory load ammo, they can use the lot #s to trace down any issue with the ammo manufacturer. I always save my boxes until the ammo is gone for this reason.

2: Glock uses a polygonal (sp?) rifleing in their barrels. This type of rifleing tends to be unfriendly to lead. As long as using jacketed ammo, and not bare cast lead, not a problem

3: As mentioned above, looser tolerances in the Glock chamber tend to expand the brass a bit more than other tighter chambers. Now, I'm going on others input on this, SOME aftermarket barrels claim tighter tolerance, thereby not expanding the brass as much as factory barrels, but also takes the dependable jam free factor down a bit. The theory is, the brass gets expanded more, thereby 'stressing' the brass more, thereby weaker brass. I can't say this for fact, I am merely reciting what others have said.

Many here have reloaded for their Glocks succesfully.

I'm still waiting to hear from anyone who has actually compared the fired brass from a factory barrel vs. aftermarket as to the real world expansion. I have some saved cased from my G22. would like to compare to aftermarket.
  13. Jack Ruby

Jack Ruby New Member

Well I can say that when I go to the range I often buy and use reloaded 9mm rounds. They have never said I should not. Thats why I decided to start reloading myself. Never hand a problem with the reloaded range ammo.

Ive been reading a lot in the past day and what I see is that the major problem is with the .40s.
    Correct?
    And, if you stay on the conservative side for power loading and inspect carefully before reloading casings you'll be ok.

If I am wrong someone please slap me and tell me right.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009