1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Lone Wolf Barrels

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dbach, May 29, 2012.

1. dbach

dbach Member

Here is what happened.

I made a few reloads and drop tested them in the Lone Wolf barrel, a side note here is that when I ordered the LW barrel I told them I'd be shooting .40S&W cast bullets sized at .401

All brass was sized with the Redding GRX die, prior to reloading. They would not drop into the LW chamber. Only an uncomfortable amount of force would have shoved them in. On the other hand they would drop into the factory Glock chamber, and feed reliably.

I tried some measuring but to be honest my cheepo Harbor Freight digital caliper readings were like a shotgun blast. The results were all over the place. Nothing reliable there, but the few measurements that felt accurate showed that there was very little difference between the two barrels chamber openings. Maybe .001 or .002. Not much.

I read where a guy used very fine emory cloth and a dowel to open the LW barrel up a bit. He described the procedure with clarity and I decided to give it a whirl.

To make a ling story short, I followed his recommendations using the same tools and was able to modify the LW barrel enough to accept the reloads with no problems.

It worked like a charm. Now I can swap to the LW barrel and shoot cast bullets with no concerns about leading, which I hear is way over exagerated anyway. It shoots and cycles as well as the factory barrel with no problem. I like it.
  2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i own a couple of those cheapy hf digital calipers. I have some NICE machine shop quality dial calipers too. I can assure you.. if you have the pair that are .001 calibrated, and have not used them as wrenches.. they are .001 precision capable. I've measured some cases with a set of mcs and then good dials.. and the cheapo 10$ HF.. and can get duplicate readings.

problems arise on measurement devices when you try to measure an item in a non repeatable way, or in a way that introduces error or variables into the measurement area ..e tc.
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

anyone have a link to the emery/dowel method?

I've been toying with buying a chamber reamer (which cost more than the barrel) and opening it up that way but if yours is working with a little fine sanding then I'm game to give it a shot.

The whole point of me buying this barrel was so that I could shoot reloads anyway, it's not doing any good sitting in the safe by itself so might as well start cutting.
  4. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i've reamed a few spindle bushings to fit for an antique tractor by taking a dowel rod and chucking into a drill.

you use a saw and cut a slit/slot into the dowl at the top.. then take a strip of whatver paper or tape you are using.. fold it over and slip into the groove.. and wind away from the direction you will be spinning.. kind of like a rotary flap disc.. :)
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

sounds good, I might give her a try if I don't buy a reamer. I wonder if Glock would put my barrel through their chamber cutter to match dimensions, probably not.

I will post up what I do, going to give it another shot with this fresh batch of reloads I'm working on, plan on buying some factory ammo also to try again.

Thanks! Glad yours is working out for you, I'm hoping to accomplish the same before long