long range .223

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by TheSniper, May 30, 2009.

1. TheSniper

TheSniper New Member

i was looking to buy a long range .223. (200 yds. to 300yds.)i was thinking the remington 700 vtr.is it good at those ranges? please tell me if you have shotten a .223 that can shoot a good group at thease ranges.
    thanx for the help.Good snipingwill be useing for tarrget sometimes hunting
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Looks like a good rifle. it comes with a 22" bbl, 1 in 9 twist, probably a real good rifle. What is the price tag? The next steep is a good set of rings, bases and glass. Make sure you get good rings and bases. Don't go cheap. Most problems i see with rifles are with the rings and bases and not the scope.

2 to 3 hundred yrds should not be a problem with any rifle. I will recommend using or at least trying v-max bullets for better accuracy.
  3. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Went out this week with my Bushmaster Predator in .223 and grouped very good at 200 and 300 yards with hand loaded Nosler Ballistic tips in 55 grains. I do have good glass and was shooting from a bi-pod.
  4. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Any good quality .223 with at least a 1-9" twist barrel will shoot well out to 500 yards or more with 69 grain BTHP bullets. If you can get a 1-8" or 1-7" twist and move up to the 77 or 80 grain bullets 800 yards is completely within reason.
  5. omercityman

omercityman New Member

Go with the slower twist so that you can run heaver bullets. I bought a .22 Hornet a few years ago and the chamber was bad from the owner leaving a lead bullet in it for years. I had it rechambered to .223 but it had a 1 in 12 twist so I have to reload with 35 grain V-Max bullets. It takes a fast twist to stabilize a light bullet and a slow twist for the heavier bullets.. This is one tack driving gun at 100 yards but starts to drift alot after that. For three hundred yard shots I would go to the heavier bullets with a 1 in 7 twist. 80 grain would be my choice.
  6. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

The VTR is a low end junker, that is already showing up in gun shows at a reduced price.

2-300 yards in not long distance. It is zeroing distance.

You goal should be 5-600 yards.

Get a model 700 SPS or one of its variants.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_SPS.asp

Reload with A-Max or V-Max, and you will make your goal with practice, and more.

My Father back in the 60s was doing 800 yard shots with his Sako.

Im darn sure, you should be able to squeak out 5-600 yards.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009