Long range capability of a .22LR

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Jackman, Oct 6, 2011.

1. doubs43

doubs43 New Member

JLA, that's a great looking Model 5 and a couple of nice groups. Have you adjusted your trigger? I've adjusted the triggers on both of mine down to roughly 2.5 pounds; very crisp too. I did have to thin the safety plate that blocks the trigger. It was too thick to work properly when the trigger was set the way I wanted. My two are consecutive serial numbers and one will go to each of my granddaughters.

IMO, the Zastava made Model 5's - Remington or Charles Daley - are of excellent quality and a great value for the money. They can be found for under $200 if one looks around.
  2. FW!

FW! New Member

I watched a guy at my clubs range today breaking clays at 200 yds with a CMP Remington 513T
  3. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

I get only about 3 days a year with negligible wind. At that, 200 yards is pretty doable with my worked 10/.22 and mini-mags. I hit a bottle last week at about 270, and it was funny to see that the bullet barely had enough power to break it. It hit, and I saw small flying bits. A hesitation, and then the top fell off of the middle. I normally have about an 8mph wandering wind, so about 150 yards is the practical limit on stuff like empty shot shells.
  4. jrinfoley

jrinfoley New Member

When I was a teen many years ago, we used to sit on a hilltop and shoot .22's at a heavy gauge aerial sign used to mark a pipeline. It was at least 300 yards away and it was kind of like shooting a gong. I got pretty good with my Ruger MKI despite a huge amount of holdover. So yes, long range shooting with a .22 is possible.
  5. Whiskey

Whiskey New Member

6. wifetrained

wifetrained New Member

My Savage Mk II tactical with attached Leupold Vari X II scope does well at 100 meters. This is a 16 inch fluted barrel model firing on an 8" C-More target.
    Once it was dialed in it printed a 5 shot sub MOA group almost dead center.

Attached Files:

7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

.22 Lr will hurt you BAD out to 500 meters the hassle is most slow to sub sonic between 280 - 355 yards or so, and the coming back in the barrier throws em way off

so its hitting beyond that barrier entry that kills .22LR as a 300-400 meter round.. it does the damage ... and hyped up so it does break in later , not a bad caliber at all

big roo's camels , wild dogs and the odd Buff all with 22-250 this side

exploding crows , my favourite pastime eh , hyper velocity .22 nothing like it on small nasty critters

nice shootin wifetrained...
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  8. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I have a 513T and it will shoot out past 200 and leave ya with a smile. I love the 513T Awesome target rifle. I wouldnt trade mine for nuttin.
  9. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

It doesn't matter one whit what the .22 can do "in theory". On a day when you have the time, place targets out at 25 yard intervals from 150 to 225 yards. Use 10 yard intervals if you really want to see the effect. Zero your .22 LR to hit the one at the middle of the range. Notice how incredibly drastic the drop effects your range estimation at the others. If you zero for 150 yards, you won't even be on paper at 100 and 200 yards.
    To drive the point home, try picking on random objects at distances between 150 and 300 yards. If you can hit each one with the third shot, you're doing extremely well. This simulates life in the real world, shooting gophers or whatever. The functional long range limit of the .22 LR cartridge is about 150 yards, and that's stretching it with a rifle that is set up for the task.
  10. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    How about 100 yards with a pistol, cheap CCI Blazer ammo and a 10mph cross wind going right to left? Never underestimate a 22.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2011
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Good video, never doubt the deadlyness of the lowly .22.
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

13. Leadslead

Leadslead New Member

I shoot my custom .22 custom rifle at 1000 and 1500 yard targets on a regular basis!

Now, if I can just ever hit one of those darn targets!
  14. brad87

brad87 Former Guest

farthest i've ever got with a 22 was ~ 1/4 mile on a crow. he flopped around for a while before dying, but that was a pretty big rush picking off something that far away with a .22
  15. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Try putting your barrel up at a 33 degree angle and shooting from a mountain top. You might need a Cray computer to figure out the corrections you need and a lot of help from the angels. :D
  16. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

I don't want anybody shooting at me either, I am old, slow and a large target. Shooting is about the only thing I can still do that I did 50 years ago. Not as well as I used to but then I don't have all that free military ammo to practice with anymore.

A fun day is shooting at bowling pins at 200 yards with a 45 ACP or ringing the bucket with a 22 or 38 spcl shooting one handed off hand. I don't have many days I can do that anymore either, leg not quite strong enough to hold me steady.

Set me on my butt behind a table and I can do it all day long but it lacks that little special feel of a deed well done.