Long range projectile effectiveness,

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1 Eyed Jack, Jan 6, 2012.

1. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Generic question here, trying to put together some data, not trying to get any controversy or argument started, just data and opinions, please give your suggestion/formula with as little or as much detail as you like,

Gun, caliber, and components must be readily available, (no proprietary/military etc), readily available to the public only, leave the fantasy/ultra custom wildcat's, and other stuff for another thread,

Which type of projectile, and weight, will still do the job at this distance,

1) Distance, 1200-1500 yards,

2) Animal, 180-220 lbs,

3) POI would be the boiler room vitals, (not targeting the head, neck or spine)

Example:

1) .338 Lapua, 200 gr. Frangible projectile, XXX gr’s of IMR XXXX, desired MV of 3400 fps, (just a made up example)
    2) .300 Win. Mag, 180 gr. HP, XXX gr’s of HXXX, desired MV of 3350 fps, (another example)
    3) Rem. 7mm Mag, 168 gr. FMJ, XXX gr’s of IMR, desired MV of 3325 fps, (another example)

Again the 3 examples I listed above are JUST examples, pulled out of the air with no research, please don’t waste your time picking apart my example’s, they are not based on any practical or proven data, at all.

I am interested in the knowledgeable opinions and feedback,
  2. Grizz

Grizz Member

Have you looked at the Savage 110ba .338 Lapua? They have a 1-9 twist so it likes to fling 300gr projectiles. This wll do what you want PLUS a 1000 yards more(if you ever needed). If you like the .338 you can't beat savage for the price as they are competing with and beating rifles that cost 2-3 times as much. Some say the 110ba looks ugly but I like it.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Any weapon system firing a projectile with a BC as close to 1.0 as possible (must be greater then .500), with a muzzle velocity over 2800 fps, and whos terminal ballistics produce a minimum of 500 ft. lbs. of kinetic force at the intended target...

Pickins are pretty slim at 1200-1500 yds. You gotta run the numbers.