Long Range Rifle Project; Opinions Please.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by USMC-03, Apr 15, 2008.

1. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    My current long range rifle is set for open sights but I've wanted to build a scoped long range rifle for some time. I've been thinking of chambering it in .30-06 and topping it with a Leupold 6x mil-dot target scope with reticle I already have. It's not intended to be a top competitor at the 1,000 yard though I will use it in matches. It's more for a hunting and learning tool.

I had intended to find a Remington 700lh long action but they are very scarce. I have a Remington 03A3 that I could use, already drilled and tapped for a Redfield Jr. base. All I really need is a barrel and stock.

Any suggestions on how to proceed on this low budget project?
  2. magusjinx

magusjinx New Member

What is your definition of "long range" ?

Mine is anything over 200 yards ...
  3. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    I use 600 to 1,000 yards as the basic working distance "Long Range", the same as NRA Highpower.
  4. The Big Dog

The Big Dog New Member

Hi,

If I were to build a long range rifle on a budget, I'd look at the Savage 110 rither in 30/06 or 300 Win Mag. I just rebarreled A Savage in 300 Win Mag set up for long range shooting. I'm going to rebarrel a 30/06 to 6.5-284 for 1000yd shooting. You can buy these match barrels from http://www.eabco.com/ for $259 already threaded and chambered. The nice thing about Savage is you can change the barrels yourself.

Catch you later,

The Big Dog
  5. magusjinx

magusjinx New Member

Anything in the 7mm range is good to about 6-700 yards for hunting ... Near or past that i would say maybe the 300 magnums up to maybe 338 or 375 ... Bigger if you are hunting elephants at a half mile ... :)
  6. TheRooster

TheRooster New Member

I would use a .30-338 win mag. It is one of the first 1000 yard guns. I have one and I love it. The beauty is it forces you to handload because you can't buy ammo. The guys out here who do long range (600-100yds) use at least a 24x scope. They aren't pros either. Good luck.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

a lot of stuff listed , but its all about putting projectiles through targets or game and all the things mentioned so far will do that , but its budget that is important too , so i do not know the cost of ammo in the US but is that a factor ? will you shoot 300 rnd's a month less or more ? more can cost ..

there are a number of great barrel makers in the USA but many of the newer sleeved ultralights are very good too

as for stocks again a multitude from $400-$4000

set your budget and take a look , make it what you want and can afford ,

but you can buy a lot of barrel and stock for $1000 USD from what i see

and end up with a sub mil of arc rifle ,

you'll get more or less either way when , you decide what your budget is ..
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  8. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

How much is your budget is the question? Your budget determines your setup.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Im working on a project...

Savage accustock short action, rebarreled with a 26" criterion match barrel. Just got the barrel break in process done friday. Id be shooting it today except I overtorqued the recoil lug wedge and broke it. Ordered 5 more replacements from savage...

During the break in i did get a couple one holers at 200 yds.. Im feelin good about this project :)

I am keeping the accutrigger, it works for me. I might upgrade the glass, but dunno yet, currently I have a Nikon buckmaster 4.5-14X40 with BDC.

Stock is goin out later this week to be dipped in a rubberized protective coating with a skull pattern. Its gonna be pimp ;)

Ill get some pics...
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

got some pics...

Attached Files:

11. Airdale

Airdale Member

If you want to go the low cost route why not try the short action route?
    .308 is common enough you shouldn't have trouble finding a suitable 700 (heavy barrel) candidate in a pawn shop. The short action 700 is like the small block chevy when it come to any accessory you want.

Take your time and try to find used stuff. Hell I've got a a very lightly used Bushnell 10X mil dot you could have for about half retail price, rings also available and lens covers. Not trying to sell them but it's an example of what might be available.

I just found this the other day and for a guy with your handle it should be perfect. A M40 stock from Bell and Carlson with aluminum bedding block which eliminates the need for all but skim bedding. The price is only $213.76.
    See it here:http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-553/*NEW!-Bell-&-Carlson/Detail. A semi replica of an M40 would be way cool. They also make them for Long actions

I'd wait and see how the gun shot after getting the basic platform together. a solid free floated stock could make a lot of difference in the accuracy of the remington 700. A 20' heavy barrel would have no trouble getting 600 yds (and, in the right hands, farther). In my opinion if you get a match grade barrel 24" is optimal but that's just me.

After that it's up to you how much "bling" you want to add, DBM, Sling, Bipod, Camo, muzzle break, the options are endless.....Have fun!
  12. Sooner1911

Sooner1911 New Member

IMO, you could build a 30-06 shooter for those ranges. You would likely need to work up your own loads to see what works best in your rifle, but there is a lot of information out there for 20-06 loads to get you started.
    You might want to consider a higher power scope. 6X is just not much magnification at 600-1000 yards in my opinion. If you are really trying to punch paper accurately, you will need to be able to see the target very well through the scope. Even when I had 20-15 vision, I used a 20X or 24X for anything greater than 400. Maybe you could use your scope on a friend's LR rifle just to see how well your scope works and how well you can see the target with it. Let us know when you get it built. I am always interested in hearing how a new project goes.
  13. dragman

dragman New Member

Nice!!! can't wait to see the custom stock when it's done! :eek:
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

me either, Im taking it to stu tomorrow.

Almost cant wait to do my rem-age conversion (next project in line) and then my old mauser action...
  15. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

I'm with Airdale, post #12. The Remington 700 will give you a lot of bang for the buck and lots of options for upgrade. .308 would be a good choice to start with. Couldn't go wrong with 30-06 or a magnun either, 7mm or 30 cal. Whatever you can get the best deal on. You'll probably want at least a 10X scope. I subscribe to the school of thought that more is better, but the Army uses 10X on their sniper rifles.