Long range rifle shooting

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by 45nut, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

...the most important thing I've yet to master, is moveing targets, ie., coyotes on the run out past 300yds. (I'll be working on that though, this fall and winter);)
  2. Zane71464

Myself and two other where shooting .22 rifles at 4" balloons out at 300yds one weekend. Me and one other had the mil-dot scopes and one didnt.
    We was wackin' them and as he was guessing where to hold as we told him what mils we were useing to make the hits and he was compensating as to what we were telling him. As in feet over hold and also windage with the mils.

It wasnt long after that, he switched to a mil-dot scope....world of difference.;)
  3. Zane71464

All this time and just noticed I meant to put the measurements on the targets.
    Will do...
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Zane what kinda scope
  5. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Someone posted a couple weeks ago that he hit the one mile mark. Gotta love it. My problem here is that there aren't any ranges with any distance. I'm going to measure a mile and try it though over in the canyon close by. I wonder if my .303 can hit at a mile or half a mile? It arrived at my FFL yesterday but he was out of town yesterday and today so i can't go do the paperwork until tomorrow :(.

As soon as I get it home I'm definitely going to post some nice pics of it! :)
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  6. Zane71464

It's a BSA Platinum, 8-32x 44 ill. mil-dot ret., with 1/8" moa clicks.
    I've got several BSA scope, but they made a good one when they made this one.
    Really good and clear even in low light. And the the AO is pretty well spot on.
  7. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

That long range shooting just fascinates me. If I have the range I could get into that and enjoy everything associated with it.
  8. Zane71464

I saw that and that is awesome!

I'm not sure about your .303 reaching out there that far, as I dont own one and havent had much experiance with shooting that caliber.

I'm "still" wanting to reach the 1,000 yard mark...HAVE to!;)
    It's killin' me not knowing, 'cause I know I can with the couple of rifles that I have that are capable.
  9. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

10. Zane71464

That is some awesome shooting with a .22lr.! The wind is the biggest obstacle.
  11. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know either. What I do know is that the Enfield .303's pack a lot of punch and they kick like a mule. The one I owned 27 or 28 years ago certainly did! I'm so looking forward to getting my 'new' one home. Could have gone this evening specifically just to get the paperwork done, but I hate to waste gas at 3.59 a gallon. Have to go to town tomorrow to work on the CCTV security system I'm installing anyway so I've arranged to stop by and do the paperwork when I finish what I will do on that job. My FFL is only a couple hundred yards from where the job is.

My wife really touched my heart when she didn't get mad at me for winning the auction for this rifle. I sort of kind of agreed that I wouldn't win any more auctions for the next six months - still have a few low bids out though. If I win something really cheap it won't be a problem but it better be for less than 50 bucks :eek:

Right now I'm trying to get a saddle and a bridle from on-line live auctions. I have bids out on 8 saddles - don't know what I'd do if I won them all! :confused:
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

what is that knob on the back of your scope for?
  13. Zane71464

I'm anxious for you to get it and to try it out!
    My take is, "you dont know till you try".
    I got a Savage 116 in .30-06 some time back with a 20" barrel and got it dialed in at 100 yards with a point of impact hitting 2.75" high.

Took her back to the open fields and set up at 200, 250, 300 then to 400 yards. With just a regular crosshair, I went on out to 500 yards and was a bit
    supprised to see how well it handled the 150gr. Remington Core-Lokt SP.

Be sure to get back and give us a Range Report on that, please!:)
  14. Zane71464

That's the illuminated cross hairs Beth. (knob for it)
    Goes red or green.
  15. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

whoa cool