Long range shooting

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by Davejohn90, Sep 12, 2012.

1. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

you could find a Hi power service rifle or hi-power rifle club/range to travel to and start shooting to hone your skills; I used to do about a half dozen 1000yd matches with my M14 and M1A (iron sights at that) but shooting at bullseye targets the size of a barn door. Wish I had the time to do that still. Many shot the AR mouse gun out there too. .308 will get there but it will have lost much of it's oomph.

.300 mag is a good choice for OK performance at that distance but not too crazy expensive. .338 will be better, but more expensive. then it goes waaaaaaay up in price!
  2. Davejohn90

Davejohn90 New Member

A local pawn shop (I KNOW SHHHHHH) is selling a .308 thats action is supposed to be set at 1500 yards
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

IMO .300 RUM is the ticket. You wont find a better selection for LR bullets than the .308 bore has, the .300 RUM is based on the .404 jeffrey case, which isnt belted and headspaces on the shoulder where a good LR round is supposed to. Its easy to reload for (exactly like a scaled up .308 winchester).. I would recommend a rem 700 action or a savage 110 action and a solid stock. HS precision or McMillain. And you will need to reserve a good chunk of change for a good scope. You can have the best rifle in the world for shooting 1000+ yards but if you insist on putting a 120 dollar walmart special on it you are going to be very disappointed in hyour 1000 yard results. You need adjustable parallax, at least 18X, and the scope MUST be able to adjust across its turret range and return to ZERO accurately. Scopes that do that start in the 350-400 dollar range and go up from there, with the better ones easily costing 1000-1200.. So realisticaly, you are looking at about 2-3K to get set up to shoot 1000 yds consistently and thats if you dont need to buy reloading equipment.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

The RUM is a powerhouse .30 ! I still can't decide if I want that or the 300 short mag next; I'm thinking short mag just for lower recoil and the short action. But a RUM or .30-378 will be in my future also...
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

go RUM. Id bet you good money that if you had a .300 shortmag, a .300 rum and a .30-378 wby right now, within a months time youd not even bother shooting the shortmag or the wby. the .300 RUM is a perfect niche round as it does the job of all the .30 magnums and has better barrel life to boot.
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

good to know, thanks JLA! I'm looking to build a nice bolt gun for long range elk, going to be a 700 most likely but possibly would do a savage. The RUM sounds like it has much more oomph out at distance, looks like something the OP might want to consider too.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I by far prefer it over the Winmag simply because its unbelted.. I hate belted cartridges. IMO they arent any safer for the high pressures than an unbelted round, feeding issues exist, and headspace issues are more prevalent.

Again My opinion.. YMMV
  9. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

When I use to shoot on the HP circuit at 1000yds the rear sight post on my M1A was extended up about as far as it would go. I can't remember exactly how many clicks of elevation but it was a bunch. We shot white box match 168 grain HP boat tails. The target was a 4'x4' bullseye but at a thousand shooting iron sights it looks like a pinhead setting on your front sight post and if there is any mirage it dances. You definitely have to train your body and your mind to hit it consistently.:eek::confused::D:confused::eek:
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I forgot about this thread. I have been working on setting my LR rig up to shoot Precision Rifle classes. Its all milspec training so my scope, mount, brake and bolt knob needed a change. I had my rig set up for LR hunting with a std Duplex reticle. I stayed with Nikon, But got into one of their high end Monarch X optics. sweet piece of glass. 4-16X50, mildot, 30mm tube, crisp parallax adjustment. Its a sexy scope. And my new mount is a 20 MOA DNZ Freedom Reaper. Basically the Gamereaper with MOA cant built in and beefed up double size. I also stayed with .308. Just going to refine my load. I was fortunate enough to get ahold of a box of M118LR and a bucket of once fired LC LR brass. I dissected the M118 and ID'd the propellant and projectile. I am going to apply match handloading techniques to Milspec sniper ammo. It should get me an easy 1000 yarder. Cant wait!

Ill put up a pic of the rig when I get it back together. I got it tore apart so I can cerakote the bolt handle, action, lug and nut.
  11. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Get a 338 Edge....
  12. cchgn

cchgn Member

I have a couple of long range shooting questions.

First is what are you supposed to be able to see thru a long range scope? I have 10-40X50 and can hardly see writing on a pie plate at 100yds.

what are the target sizes at the distances( 100,300,500, 1k)?
  13. Zane71464

With the longer range rifles I have and shoot, at 100 yards I'll tale a smaller piece of (usually white) cardboard and have a black, 1" circle on it and nothing else to distract my concentration.

At 300 yards I'll usually take a 2 foot square piece of cardboard and have a 2" circle on that.

At 500 yards I use the same size cardboard (2 foot square) but with a 4" circle on it.
    Being able to see your target at different distances, depends a lot on a decent scope.
  14. Zane71464

What brand of scope are you using?
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Being a10-40X50 its probably a cheap NCStar or something similar. Problem with cheapo scopes is they are, well, cheap.. Cheap glass, cheap manufacturing, cheap assembly, cheap QC, etc. With a good scope, and by good I mean something with quality glass (usualoly found in scopes approaching or breaking the 1000 dollar mark) and a decent parallax adjustment capability you can easily see a beer can at 1000 yds.