The Firearms Forum banner

Long range shooting

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  misiu 
G
#1 ·
I borrowed this Jack O'Connor excerpt...it still seems timely.

a long-range shot should never be taken if there is a reasonable chance of getting closer.

a long-range shot should never be taken if the rifleman feels doubtful of his ability to make a good, solid, well-placed hit.

a long-range shot should never be taken if the hunter cannot get into a solid position - prone with a sling, from a rest, etc.

a long-range shot should never be taken at any dangerous animal - a brown, grizzly or polar bear, a lion, a tiger, a leopard, a cape buffalo.

a long-range shot should never be taken at an unwounded, running animal.

a long-range shot should never be taken if the animal shot at can get out of sight so quickly that it would be difficult to ascertain the effect of the shot.

a long-range shot should not be taken if the range is so great that a hold on top of the shoulders will not drop a bullet into the chest cavity.

these rules may seem ultra conservative to many, and i must admit that there have been times when i did not follow them myself. however, the more i hunt and the more i see others shoot the more convinced i am that they are wise and sensible rules and if they were universally adopted the number of game animals that get away wounded to suffer and die would be greatly reduced.

See less See more
#3 ·
Swede, after hunting in this state for 20 yrs. I could not agree more with those statements you posted. There have been times when I did not follow those rule myself but like you the older I get and the more I hunt the more I firmly follow them.
Now if all of the people would do the same.

#4 ·
Unfortunately, too many "hunters" take their rifle out of the closet on opening day of deer season, blow the dust out of the bore, throw it in the car, stop at a store and pick up whatever kind of ammo is on hand, and head out into the field (frequently with a flask on their hip).

"Sight a rifle in? What's that mean?" :confused:

#5 ·
Long range shots

Hi Guys:

I can't agree more with the sentiments expressed above. I particularily agree with the observations regarding those "hunters" (I hesitate to use that word for them) who do not practice regularily or who take a haphazard approach to sighting in their rifle. I had a hunting partner like that for one season and I soon quit hunting with him.

My only other observation is that what would be a "long range shot" for one person may NOT be for another. It depends greatly on your competence-practice-and firearm. The key is to know what ones limits are and abide by them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.